Delta 22-580 Planer with no DC

I am thinking about purchasing the Delta 22-580 planer but do not have a dust collector. The other option is to buy the DeWalt DW735 but at a higher price. The DeWalt has a blower to remove chips from the cutting area.

Has anyone run the Delta 22-580 without a DC and did you have problems with denting or otherwise any other problems on the cut quality? I can deal with the mess -- it's the quality of the cut that I'm concerned with. Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry

i have never used dust collection with a planer. never a problem. i have the delta 22-580 and a powermatic 209. with DC you will spend more time emptyin the bags than you will planing.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

I got a 22-580 a few years ago for free (drive by gloat) and have only used it a few times. It does snipe a little on the infeed and outfeed ends but I never bothered to adjust the rollers or even the flip-down tables. The finish cut is better than any of the boards you'll find at the Borg and if adjusted correctly probably wouldn't snipe at all.

Forget the price of the DW, if it is the one I'm thinking it is, you need two people to move it. Go to the store and try and pick it up.

The few times I used the Delta dust wasn't an issue, just a quick sweep afterwards of the shavings. They do sell a DC attachment if you ever get a system.

Reply to
RayV

I used a Delta 22-540 for awhile. It produced acceptable surfaces but it required cleaning the chips away after every pass. I kept an air hose handy. I planed: cedar, pine, maple, oak, ash, etc so it did well on a variety of woods. If you don't have a dust collector, I strongly recommend that you wear a mask. The amount of dust is tremendous. The planer would leave snipe but I just compensated with longer material. It is wasteful.

Max

Reply to
Max

Quality of the cut is fine. If I get snipe, it is my fault in handling the wood.

I do have a Dc though. Made too much of a mess without.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The 22-580 works fine without a dust collector. Although mine is hooked up to the DC when in the shop, sometimes it goes with me to do a job somewhere else. It'll make a mess real quick! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I had a 22-580 for about 2 yrs now, no dust collection. Got in on Amazon for 325 bucks delivered. Run it outside when the weather is nice. I have a large rectangular cement mixing bucket to catch 80% of the shavings (which are used as bedding for the school genea pigs), works fine.

I've run osage, ipe, oak, locust, maple, ash, cocobolo, all kinds of hard stuff through it. Every once in a while I'll get some snipe, but nothing serious. It would be nice to be able to purchase carbide knives, but other than that no complaints.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Thanks all for the advise.

Just purchased from Amazon for about 345 bucks delivered. I guess there is some inflation in the last two years. Still think I got a good price.

Reply to
Jerry

I have this planer and a DC system but I still take the planer outside to use it. The denting will occur more with some woods than others. Softer woods like pine seem worse than hardwoods. I find the direction of feed is also involved. If I go with the grain (as it says in the manual, the end results are usually better). and as someone else said here... keep it clean between passes.

Reply to
Tom Woodman

Dumb question, but if you've never used dust collection how do you know you'll spend more time emptying bags then planing? It probably takes me 15 minutes to empty the bag on my Grizz 2HP DC and it would take hours to fill the bags by planing. I can't imagine how long it would take to sweep up my shop if I didn't have it.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Ran my planer once and bought a DC the following week. I'd rather empty it that try to sweep up or have chips all over the yard.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Glad someone stepped up. Seems you still have to bag and drag if you sweep and shovel. With a DC, however, you don't have to wade through them to pull the board or track them about to answer the phone or SWMBO.

Dollars to donuts a bit of work with HVAC register fittings and tinsnips would collect a bunch.

Oh yes, if your planer's making dust, you should sharpen your blades.

Reply to
George

i have a DC i just dont use it for the planer. it fills quickly enough just sucking dust. it doesnt take long at all to make a large pile of shavings with a planer. i use a large box at the outfeed end and most of it is caught in it. scoop shovel takes care of the rest in short order.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

I live i the country! chips are good for the lawn and SWMBO loves em for her flower gardens. I set a large box on a four wheeled cart at the outfeed end of the planer to catch most of the mess and wheel it out to the flower bed and spread it faster than i can empty the DC.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics