My bandsaw saga

About 4 years ago I needed a bandsaw to be able to cut out a lot of rocking horse heads. The choice here was limited and I got a Record

12" (English made - European pattern) and Mark Duginskie's book. I set it up as best as I could - the frame got in the way of getting the wheels coplanr etc. I broke a lot of blades and contacted the local agents. They acknowledged that did have problems with that model and gave me a 14" saw. It was a lot better but still difficult to get wheels coplanar and blade alignment, bearings got noisy very quickly. Last month I found a second hand Tw clone saw and took it home. Stripped it, cleaned and resprayed, fitted new bearings and ended up with a saw that tracked the blade perfectly, was quiet and could cut accurately. Downside was the amount of pewter castings and general finish, but it was far better than the Record. Better cut quality and a lot quieter. Today I took the Record 14" in for resale. There was a an old Rockwell/Delta there. So much cast iron as to make it diffucult to move. A deal was done and I now have another band saw to refurbish. When done the Tw clone will go on sale and overall I will about financially even but quality wise way ahead. The only problems are that it came with a a 1Hp - GE - Induction repulsion motor which weighs a ton and does not fit the stand - can only fit 2 mounting bolts - so some changes need to be made there and the left blade guard is non existant. Thought about making a wood stand on wheels with storage. At the moment all parts are soaking in paraffin and the restoration will continue. Cheers
Reply to
Phil Hansen

congrats. you're well on your way....

now surf on over to www.owwm and start reading...

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Thanks, have been there before browsing but now have something definite to look for. After doing some stripping it is actually a rebadged Delta sold to overseas countries. It is a Tauco, model 10-6379. Getting new bearings might be a problem though, inner race is offset from the outer.

Reply to
Phil Hansen