Making long boards out of short

Is there any practical way of doing this? I have 160± pieces of 1"x6"x42" boards. Hem fir. Is finger jointing possible in the home shop. Willing to pay for some tooling. Could a commercial place 'fingerjoint' this for me for a price that would be less than buying equivalent amount of lumber. BTW, I live in the Northwest, we have some lumber mills nearby.

BTW, 15 years ago I cut 3000 l.f. of custom moulding for a re-model that I was doing. Still have the Foley Belsaw moulder. At that time a lumber supplier was able to get me finger joint (not door jamb) 1" primed paint grade lumber for a very attractive price. Finger joint has no knots, does not warp (every other piece is flip-flopped) and is great to work with. Sure beats the mdf which turns to dust when you shape it.

Thanks for ideas,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

There are fingerjoint router bits sold for just this purpose.

That's a good size, but not a good wood, for fence pickets.

It seems they'd also be good for some 20" x 20" x 40" six board blanket boxes, toy chests etc. They'd use about 20 boards each with very little left over. With Careful resawing and planing you could get two 1/4" boards from each and use them for drawer sides.

I had thought softwood too soft for drawers and runners but recently re-finished my Mother's pine nightstand. 60 + years old, been chewed on by dogs and run over a few times by my Dad on his scooter and still sturdy as hell, as is the nightstand.

--=20

FF

Reply to
fredfighter

If you have slow growth, the rings will be a lot tighter and the wood denser.

You can get salvaged "heart pine" or "long leaf pine" but it's pretty hard to get new stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

A Scarf Joint will make the boards longer and less wide.

Reply to
henry

Explain that, please.

RicodJour

Check this link...

professorpaul

You could also use a lock miter router/shaper bit as well. Just route both board ends flat/horizontal and flip them... just like the funger joint in that manner, but offers greater utility...

unless you plan on doing a lot of this joining, then a fingerjoint cutter may be the best option.

~Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

Try a birds tongue joint which you can cut on the table saw. It makes a very strong joint that is attractive. The down side is that it uses up a little more of the length to form the long tapered joint. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I'm still curious why a scarf joint would affect the width of the board(s). How does an end joint affect the width?

RicodJour