Re: The question of baptism

NO, you're damn well not excused. Following your sentiment, it would be appropriate to make this newsgroup as the catch all for messages from all

80,000 usenet news groups? Fine, you respect many of the members here, but that doesn't for one minute mean that your question belongs here. There's enough crap here from threads that migrate to off topic conversations. There's absolutely no reason to intentionally add to it.
Reply to
Upscale

AMEN, Upscale....

AMEN. Their are plenty of coffee shop style groups that would find this topic fascinating. There is enough off topic baloney here already.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

So, non-practicing and agnostic. Why worry about baptism, then?

My church does not allow for infant baptisms- we had some heated debate over it, but the idea that a person must choose to become a member of a spiritual community won the day. So, the earilest occasion for baptism is when a child reaches puberty. Of course, other faiths will disagree- and often stridently!

AFAIK, baptism is specific to denomination, but there are an awful lot of faiths around, so that's going to depend on where you're at, and who you're talking to.

For your consideration, the way I have always considered baptism and confirmation (having assisted in dozens of them as a deacon) is as follows: A baptism is a spiritual "introduction" to a community of like-minded individuals. It signifies an intent (but not an obligation) on the person being baptised to study the morals and dogma of that community, but forms no permenent bond between the baptized and the church that performs it. The sponsor of the baptised (god-parent(s)?) is agreeing to lend spiritual guidance to the baptised and aid them in coming to confirmation if and when they are asked to do so. My faith (Gnostic, as opposed to A-gnostic) doesn't allow for the doctrine of orignal sin, but if yours does, you also need to consider the idea of purifcation that attends the ritual. According to most Christian theologies, a person cannot enter heaven until they are baptised.

Confirmation (and that's a long way off for your child) is when a person is consecrated in a particular faith, and fully and truly becomes a member of that church.

So, if it makes you feel better- why not? If you're not religious, it can't hurt anything, but I fail to see the point in it. Might be better to let you children decide for themselves when they come of age in that case.

Reply to
Prometheus

[snipperified]

Like I was trying to make up my mind between a single-cup espresso maker and a French press. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my new DVD player, but I miss the whirring of my rewinder. I mean, it's not as if I go to the religio-politico-alt-f*ck-ups newsgroups in order to find the answer to my age-old question: "Where *IS* that smell coming from?"

IOW.., I agree with Upscale.

Reply to
Robatoy

He's an atheist and he's full of hot air.

He isn't WORRIED about it. He's making a mockery out of Christianity. Sadly enough, the children suffer in cases like this because of immoral parents.

VK

Reply to
Vito Kuhn

hmm... I only raise kids, veggies, dust and hell in mine...

I think most folks true baptism is their first experience using a good power tool.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Robotoy.....you got a DVD rewinder that doesn't make noise? COOL!

Would/wood making really thin shavings with a plane or chisel qualify as a religious experience??

Do people that cross post stuff to unrelated groups have to wait until they go to hell, or are they punished in life here?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I assume by "baptising" you're talking about buying a child his or her own set of woodworking tools. I believe the appropriate age is when the child is able to put a good, serviceable edge on a chisel or plane blade. Those children who are baptised as infants never learn to properly care for their tools, so I believe you would do a diservice to the child by having a premature baptism.

Now, the more important question: What tools are appropriate for a baptism? I believe this is the area where you will find a schism between the major religions. Especially fractious is the ongoing debate about the tools of choice for Jewish carpenters. The church of Norm believes that the church has a right to great wealth and they condone its use for outfitting the shop. Whereas there are those who feel that Jesus didn't even own the simple hand-tools that he worked with. This latter group preaches the simplicity of non-corded tools, but if you examine their accounts with the Temples of L(e/i)e (Valley or Neilson), you will find that Mammon is not far from their practice, if far from their beliefs. Then too, there are the pagans who will insist that the wood must be the guide; the tools being mere artifacts of the way.

Woodorkers, please help this wayward soul, and provide suggestions for the baptismal right. Ken Muldrew snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

Reply to
Ken Muldrew

I think a ritual blood-letting needs to be worked in somewhere. Also, rigorous schooling in the tenets of Crapsman vs. Grizzly, The Staining of Cherry, and the sins of the SawStop.

Reply to
gw

There is no motor, mac... it is cranked by hand, hence the whirringlessness. I bought the ambidextrous version.

Absolutely. If the shavings float like anti-gravity-type feathers, the experience is sexual as well...unfortunately not in a Tammy-Fay kinda way. (That would be TOO cool)

I call for punishment now! Crazy glue some headphones on them and force them to listen to rap at extremely slow speeds....in French.

Reply to
Robatoy

Bah! Not even worth honourable mention. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, I know this has something to do with pointy sticks or pukey ducks.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

hmm... some damn good points there... add something about woodworking and pickup trucks, and it's not only on topic, it might make a great county-western song.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

oh, ok... I thought you might have got the 3 hp collector's edition for blondes..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

let's not forget the sacrifice... bring on the young virgins! (oh, and find something to kill)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

AMEN to that, brother..

not nearly as active as the K&N air filer debates at alt.auto.dodge.trucks

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

could be, sorta-kinda... I've semi prayed that a piece of expensive wood wouldn't split or crack while drilling or something..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

And dadoes used to be made out of wood. Why don't you pull yours out of your ass?

Reply to
Upscale