DeWalt DW735 Thickness Planer

Just read a small review of this new 15" planer from DeWalt, it was a glowing report. Has anyone seen, touched or better, operated one of these new planers? What did you think of it, we all would like to know?

Reply to
Eric Tonks

It's a 13" planer. I bought one 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I can't really tell you much because it's my 1st planer so I have nothing to compare it to. I do know one thing. It's a heavy bugger, almost 100 lbs. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reply to
BeerBoy
15"?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Eric,

One small correction to your post, the DW735 is a 13" machine. I have one and just love it. It does exactly what is claimed of it. Some of the ads, reviews etc. have one of the specs wrong though. In the "dimensioning" mode is 96 CPI and the "finishing" mode is 179 CPI. I know there are still a few of the DW-733's around and you should be able to get one for a real steal, if that fits your needs. The new DW-734 looks to be basically a 733 with a

3-blade head in place of the 2-blades the 733. One of the things I like about the DW735 is the tightness of the depth adjust crank. There is no slop or play in it at all. I looked at other planers and found them to have a lot of play. The 735 just "feels" like a well thought out, well built machine. I am very happy with the surface of the boards I've run through it. No planer marks at all at 96 CPI and at 179 CPI, the result is glass smooth. Stop on down to your HD or Lowe's and have them run a few boards through one for you. (fat chance!) Heck, if you are near east Mesa, (PHX) AZ, give me a call, stop on over with a board or two and I'll run them through mine.

I have had no trouble with snipe...unless I get careless. Use it with out a properly adjusted outfeed roller when planing long boards and you will get snipe. But if you use _any_ tool w/o proper set-up etc. and you will have problems! After setting the outfeed roller stand _Properly_ and ran the board back through. This time no snipe! I did not order a set of in feed/out feed tables when I bought the 735 but may. For now, used correctly, my roller stand will do fine.

One plus I almost forgot, is that with that DW yellow & black paint job, I never have a problem loosing it in the mess I have out in the shop. I can almost find it in the dark!

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

It is on my Chistmas list. BTW, its 13", not 15". Reports from people who have them are glowing. I've felt one in person, but not operated it. The thing is solid and heavy. Makes the Delta feel like a Fisher Price toy, IMO. And one of the features I really like is the internal fan, which is designed to eject the wood chips from the cutter out the vacuum port. I don't think the other portable planers have this.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I've had one for about a month Got it a woodcraft at a new store opening for $407. Love it. Jim

Reply to
Jim Heater

I saw one demonstrated at the Costa Mesa woodworking show. NICE! Very quiet, feels solid, and the cuts at both speeds were really smooth. Had my wife write down the make and model for the wish list. The look on her face makes me thinks I'll find it under the tree next month, or under a birthday card the month after.

Jmac

Reply to
jmac

The DW735, 13" Planer is a marvelous machine. I have had mine for about 6 weeks and have planed 30bf of Walnut and 25bf of red oak. Now that I have it I find myself using it for things I had not anticipated.

I can't take off as much in one pass as I can with my brother's Delta 24" ( or as wide for that matter) but the surface quality is as good, if not better.

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

Quiet?? Did you have a head cold? I love the 735, but "quiet" isn't an adjective I'd use for the 735! :)

dave

jmac wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Agreed. It's a noisy sucker.

Reply to
BeerBoy

My 735 does not seem all that noisy. But I am using it outside on the driveway. Might sound louder in a closed garage. Still not as noisy as my

25 year old ShopVac or those D#&N kids down the block falling off their skateboards on the half-pipe and slide rail (thrashing?). If they don't turn that d#&n boombox down, I'm going to crank up some Buddy Holly, Beach Boys and maybe a little of "The Mob" so they know what good music sounds like when is it played LOUD. guess i better go take my meds now

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

or a little Zeppelin. No Stairway to Heaven riffs when shopping for that new guitar, though...

dave

DexAZ wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

weeks and have planed 30bf of Walnut and 25bf of red oak.

as wide for that matter) but the surface quality is

How does the 96 CFM surface quality compare to the 179 CFM surface quality? Big difference? (I May be off on the exact numbers)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

The 96 is good. The 179 is better. The difference is noticeable but not dramatic. I use the 179 on the final pass on both sides.

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

weeks and have planed 30bf of Walnut and 25bf of red oak.

or as wide for that matter) but the surface quality is

Reply to
Al Reid

That was the only snippet in Wayne's World that made me laugh out loud. Guess it cut close to home.

Reply to
mttt

you didn't laugh at "assphinctersayswhat?"

dave

mttt wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave