HDPE for TS inserts?

Hey, all,

I have a sheet of 3/4" GE "Starboard" (white hi-density polyethylene with UV blockers) that I was originally going to use on a boat, but didn't.

I was considering using it for various woodworking jigs, but I wondered also whether it would be suitable for making zero-clearance tablesaw inserts for dadoing, running various molding head cutters, etc.

Has anyone used HDPE for this? Is it stiff enough? Any problems?

Thanks-

Reply to
– Colonel –

HDPE will work fine.

Reply to
ROY!

That's a crap load of table saw inserts! At 3/4" and a small span it's certainly stiff enough for a TS insert, but it's also thicker than it needs to be and way more expensive. Starboard also has a bit of a texture to it and I'm not sure if that would help or hurt. Have you considered selling the sheet and just picking up scrap for your inserts?

RicodJour

Well, I would have to run it through the jointer or planer to get it thinned down enough to fit my Powermatic 64A, that would take the textured surface off.

I hadn't really thought much about selling it. It's one idea...

Reply to
– Colonel –
<<Well, I would have to run it through the jointer or planer to get it thinned down enough to fit my Powermatic 64A, that would take the textured surface off.>>

Unless you have really good dust collection, it will also make your workshop look like a snowstorm took place in there.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon