Cutting 3/32" Thick Lexan Sheet: How ?

G Hensley

Hello:

Have some 0.093 Lexan sheet that I want to cut to size.

What's the best way of doing it ?

Scoring, and then over a sharp edge work ?

Or ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

If it's really lexan, you're fine just using a sabresaw with a hacksaw blade. If you're actually cutting lucite, or some other cheap plastic sheet, then score it and clamp it between two boards to break it.

Reply to
Goedjn

I'm looking for something like this for a cheap storm window (inside)...where is the best place to get it?

Reply to
Mike Lackey

I had a bunch of 4' x 8' x 1/4" sheets of GE Lexan and cuts like butter on a table saw, no special blade required. BTW you could cut it with any kind of saw for wood or metal.

You can't score and snap it - its unbreakable that way.

Reply to
Fred

I asked the same type of question on a motorcycle newsgroup regarding a tall windshield that needed cutting down. They all recommended taping (I used duct tape) on both sides where you want to cut and draw your line on the tape. Used a sabre saw with the appropriate blade. I was very nervous about it but it worked like a charm. Just take it slow and easy. Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 (old reliable) '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 (new friend) V#15937

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)

They have info on fabricating including cutting.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Around here there is a franchise called "Industrial plastic and paint" They're in the phone book and have all types of plastic sheet goods. Some Home Depots carry it also. If they aren't there, look in the yellow pages under Plastic, acrylic

Reply to
Rudy

According to Fred :

Lexan indeed saws very well on a table saw or other power saw, as long as you don't hesitate, and keep the blade moving. If you slow down too much, the lexan will melt.

_If_ it's thick enough.

However, at 3/32th of an inch, I'd pay very close attention to the saw blade and use a blade with as many teeth as possible.

Normally, you want at least two teeth in contact to avoid chatter, which can lead to splintering or even shattering.

Try using a rip blade (30-ish teeth) on plastic laminate or thin plexi some time. You'll need hearing protection, and you'll probably chip it horribly.

Reply to
Chris Lewis