Hats Off !!!

Around 1995

Gotta say that is NOT > attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

Explain that to those that like it.

Reply to
Leon

"Casper" wrote

The loose pants thing was something carried over from prison. They did not allow belts as a security measure. And since a lot of young guys went to prison, it became a "fashion" thing among young folks.

Which is totally strange. Of all the things to emulate, prison garb?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It is for you and I, but not so much in the tough neighborhoods. A large percentage of the population has been in prison. For some, it is seen as a cool "rite of passage" because you did some serious fun stuff. Whole different mentality.

I read once that 25% of the population spends some time in jail in their lives. On my street it may be 0% so that means on some other street it is probably 90%.

The US also has the highest incarceration rate at 757 per 100,000. Canada 117 Russia 577

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doesn't surprise me anymore where fads come from, only that so many people fall into them. That gets into the discussion over what is and is not considered a fad. Wearing a ballcap at an angle is a fashion fad, at least to me. IMO it defeats the purpose of the hat/brim.

Reply to
Casper

Has it been that long?

If I could do that, I'd be so persuasive I could do anything.

Reply to
Casper

I always found that to be a weird style. It's hard to run or move quickly when your pants' crotch is at your knees - and this style was most popular in neighborhoods where you really should be ready to run...

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Larry Kraus wrote in news:P949x.24470$ snipped-for-privacy@fx25.iad:

Sometimes that kind of thing makes it "cooler" or makes them feel tougher. "Look at me, I'm so tough I intentionally make it harder to run."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Didn't you want to project an image of being "tough" when you were an adolescent? I agree, prison garb seems strange, unless the people you look up to are incarcerated...

Reply to
Bill