Hard hats

Maybe a silly question, but do the DIY hard hats meet up to the same standards that ones in use on building sites, for instance? I ask, because I will be visiting (officially) a church which has been redundant and not maintained for 20 years, which is dangerous in parts

. I figure a little protection wouldn't go amiss - even though it's not been mentioned as required.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Can you not just rely on faith?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Real hard hats are only a few quid from toolsatan

NT

Reply to
Tabby

OK - thanks - so I guess the ones in B&Q at £6 probably are 'real ones' then? They have CE EN 397 listed in the details.

Reply to
John Whitworth

Not likely. The congregation couldn't manage that either! ;-)

Reply to
John Whitworth

I guess it depends on your DIY skills when you make the hat?

You can buy a "real" builders hard hat for £2.64 (toolstation) so I wouldn't bother with DIY.

You can even buy a hard cap if you want to look odd.

Reply to
dennis

Put everything forward and trust in the lord! Even a cheap hard hat will protect you from light impact. Heavier impact will more likely break your neck anyway

Reply to
cynic

Nobody should be selling non CE marked PPE in the UK. Just don't buy a used one from eBay or borrow one from a dodgy geezer.

If you're not used to wearing one, then a chinstrap can save embarrassment.

Three quid in Screwfix.

in Toolstation

Dave Osborne

Never realised there was a pecking order for hat colours!

Reply to
John Rumm

Like the fire service then.

The guy with the white hat on thinks that they are in charge of everyone else:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Me neither - especially since mine, which I picked up on a beach in Scotland, is white...

Reply to
Huge

On some jobs its possible to be all three - what colour to wear then!

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Stripey of course!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Can you get rainbow ones for handymen?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

Yep. I've noticed the white hat wearers do f*ck all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , John Whitworth writes

Have you no faith ?

Repeat after me

"Oh deity in whom we trust ..."

Reply to
geoff

Yes, for gay handymen.

At one time red hard hats ("safety helmets") were 'de rigeur'.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

M E D way, M E D way you can build a good deck, you can swear like f*ck

I'll stop at this point

Reply to
geoff

Nor me. As management in an Electricity Board, I got the same orange hat as everyone else.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Tartan.