Rob Hare

Rob Hare attended my woodworking club meeting this evening and showed, through photos and explanation, how he made coopered and iron chairs as shown at

Step one... start with a $5K slab of rough cut claro walnut... Flatten the surface with a hand planer. Cut to rough shape. Rip and resaw so that book matched arm stock is roughed out. Cooper the arms and glue up with West System epoxy. Smooth the outside curve. Gauge the thickness and then thickness and smooth the inside curve. The back goes through the same process. Move on to the forged metal work and leather upholstery. At the end of the process you have a very nice chair!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Easy enough now that I have the instructions. I'll start tomorrow if I happen to have a slab of walnut in the wood pile.

He has some nice pieces on his web page.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

OK, that lets me out, then.

Is he putting these things out on the patio? Or trying to fill gaps in the joinery? I can't see any other reason to use epoxy on something like that.

Well, tastes differ. To my mind they're pretty ugly...and I'm guessing the people that buy them do so more to be able to say "hey, I bought a $5k piece of wood" than because they're works of art.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

There are no gaps in the joinery... the epoxy is to insure it stays together. I have other associates who sell into the gallery, museum and international collectors market and if there is a theme it's that they make sure their stuff doesn't fail.

Rob informed us that the first sale of this style was for a pair of chairs... he scales them to the purchaser.

The one he brought with him was the first one. I estimate it weighed in excess of 200 lbs... and wouldn't be surprised if it were 300.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

---------------------------------------------- And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.

$500/lb may be close.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------------- And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.

$500/lb may be close.

Lew

$12-15K each....

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- "John Grossbohl12-15K each....

--------------------------------------------------- Heck of a deal .

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For Rob.

Whatever... if someone wishes (and can afford) to pay for those chairs, more power to them AND Rob. No one has placed a gun to anyone's head here.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

After seeing how they were built I was thinking he wasn't charging enough! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

talented guy i like his metal works more than the metal/wood works

the chairs on the front page state they are comfortable but I do not believe that

Reply to
Electric Comet