Grizzly vs Freud Router Bits

I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly well in my 2 1/4 hp router. I was browsing amazon for the corresponding rail and Stile bits. Freud has them for $85, but Grizzly has those bits PLUS another raised panel bit (a different profile than what I have) for $60.

What would you get?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Freud is very good professional quality..the Grizzly is low import quality....you get what you pay for in the case of tooling....just matters on how much you are going to use them.... Mike

Reply to
aswr

They're all from Taiwan.

Reply to
Bob

Not true; the goods ones are from Taiwan (or Italy, or Israel, or ocassionally the US). The crap is from China. I don't know this, but I would bet Grizzly is from China. But if all you need is crap, they are fine.

Reply to
toller

No Bob, I am sorry you are mistaken. Freud router bits are not made in Taiwan. They are made in Italy.

Mike

Reply to
aswr

I have bought a few router bits from Grizzly and like them. but then I don't do an extreme of woodworking either. For an occasional use router bit I would not hesitate to get them from Grizzly. If you are planing on going into production you may want to spend the extra money. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Velepec, Dimar and Amana are 'very good professional quality'. Freud is not bad.

As far as the imports are concerned, they could all be sold for 40 bucks a box of 12. The rest depends on paint, finish and packaging.

Reply to
Robatoy

Infinity

or Whiteside
Freud is in third place with many other good brands.

If I'm doing quality work, expensive materials, I'm not taking chances on an unknown bit. I have some $5 bits from Woodcraft. I use them on non-critical stuff and they work OK. If I'm going to make a raised panel door, no way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

All the Freud I see is Italian. Good stuff, although the router bits are expensive.

I've heard that the sawblades come from the same factory as CMT. Anyone know ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Robatoy Said:"

I agree. A project that I have worked hours on and spent good money on quality wood is not worth screwing up with cheap tools. Its not tool snobbery, its just makes sense to me.

Dave

PS: How can those who boo hoo Sears, shop at Harbor Freight and Grizzly?

TeamCasa

non-critical

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Larry,

It's from FWW #137, so late '98 (a given company's QC might certa> I have a Freud horizontal raised panel bit that works surprisingly well

Reply to
TheNewGuy

Tell that to Whiteside. SH

Reply to