Safe router speed for larger bits??

Is there any published info, on safe router speeds for different size router bits? Or any "local knowledge"?

I have a Ryobi RE600 router that a friend gave me. I have it in a router table. The problem is the speed control is non functional. He had taken it to a local repair shop, and was told it needed a "magnetic" bearing. ????? And the guy couldn't get it. Looking at a parts list, they show a speed control unit, which I suspect is the problem, however it is over $100. and I don't want to invest that much in the router. I am thinking of using rail and stile bits, with a diameter of 1 3/8" and verticld raised panel bit with a diameter of 1 1/8"

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Reply to
sailor

The recommended speed for a bit that size is 18,000 rpm. Up to 1", 25,000. That said however I think I spin my rail and style bits at top speed.

Reply to
Leon

Could you not buy an external router speed controller?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The external speed controllers, say they are not for "soft start" routers. I was wondering if there was a controller that would work. Has anyone used one with a soft start router? I wonder if it is not recomended, because of the chance of starting the router with the controller set at a slow speed?

Any thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
sailor

With your speed controller not working, does you soft start still work?

Reply to
Leon

If you know the part see if these guys can supply it?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
sailor

Yes, the soft start does work.

Does anyone know, what the "magnetic core" does? Is it for the speed control?

Reply to
sailor

I'm on about the bearing at $3.90

I'd buy this part and take a chance to see if the bloke that looked at the router was right?

After all $3.90 is peanuts.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Just talked to Ryobi Tech support, and they said it was most likly the speed control circuit. $104. :-( Wis I had a remote speed control to try.

Reply to
sailor

Just talked to Ryobi Tech support and was told it was most likely the speed coltrol circuit. $104 :-(

Wish I had a remote speed controller to try.

Reply to
sailor

If that is the case then I would strip it down and see what was at fault circuitry wise,these boards only contain readily availble components like resistors,caps,diodes.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:1SFpHQ0h3ukJ:

that I would do anything but take with a grain of salt and as a rough guideline.

Reply to
Swingman

Check with the manufacturer if you can, but IMHO you're not really pushing any limits at full speed for a 1 3/8" bit.

Reply to
lwasserm