Grizzly Prices

I'm missing your point. I didn't mention CPI.

(P.S. I was joking about sending Powell an email)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But I wasn't joking when I said that Powell said he wasn't seeing any increases in consumer prices. The question asked at today's Interest Rate Hike press conference (we all watched that, right?) was - more or less - as follows. (not quotes)

Reporter: Walmart and other companies have said that the tariffs will cause them to increase prices. What effect do you think that will have on your estimates for economic growth and future interest rate increases?

Powell: At this point I have not seen anything that indicates that the tariffs have had any impact on consumer prices. I can not speculate on any future impact the tariffs may have.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Huh? We've capitulated to every two-bit dictator around the world.

Reply to
krw

Yes, positive feedback always has its risks.

...and so did GWB, before the housing collapse, in fact. It didn't take a genius to see what was coming. People buying houses they have no business buying and using their houses as ATMs can't end well.

OTOH, perhaps tariffs will be a better brake on the economy than the Fed could dream of being. ...to long-term gain, as well.

Reply to
krw

Lefties can't understand jokes. They've completely lost any sense of humor they were born with.

Reply to
krw

When I first heard about tariffs (and I admittedly haven't been following much news lately), they were based on "steel". So that may have alot to do with which prices are increasing. Grizzly sells a lot of "steel"! ; )

Reply to
Bill

That's true enough, but there's a new sheriff in town as we've noticed. Could be that this time somebody else's feet are going to be held to the fire until they can no longer walk.

Just have to wait and see.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Apparently you're not aware of a LOT of components of the CPI.

The Eight Major Categories in the Consumer Price Index

Food and beverages (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full-service meals, and snacks) Housing (renter?s cost of housing, homeowner?s cost of housing, fuel oil, bedroom furniture) Apparel (men?s shirts and sweaters, women?s dresses, jewelry) Transportation (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance) Medical care (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians? services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services) Recreation (televisions, cable television, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions) Education and communication (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories) Other goods and services (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses)

Bullshit, the price of 'new vehicles' _is_ a component of the CPI. "TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)"

Reply to
Spalted Walt

What does handedness have to do with this?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Given it is meant as rhetoric, rhetoric was about changing minds now it is just an insult to intelligence of all sides.

Reply to
Markem

By what percentage influence is the new vehicle component, however? The average consumer isn't buying a new vehicle even annually, what more monthly or weekly...so while there may be a component, it'll be so tiny as to be pretty-much noise unless the increase is huge.

Reply to
dpb

The "component of" comment was made in response to this:

"You can be sure that will show up in new car prices (and potentially reduced dividends to shareholders); neither of which show up in the CPI."

The value of the component might be as small as .0001% of the CPI but the response was 100% appropriate.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The Ford chairman recently said the tariffs will cost a billion in profits.

Reply to
Markem

Color me skeptical. Somehow I get the feeling that consumers will help relieve some of that pain.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

New vehicle is about 3.5%. For a lot of gory details see

Your average consumer doesn't purchase a new vehicle every year but does make payments every month.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No, it's a statement of fact.

Reply to
krw

Look at it as a voluntary tax. You should like that.

Reply to
krw

But the tariffs aren't on monthly payments.

Reply to
krw

That's a silly comment. What do you care if the cost of the tariff (via the purchasers payment schedule) is amortized by the consumer over 1 month, 3 years or 6 years...

Reply to
Bill

Okay, but it is your "fact" alone!

Reply to