Electricity prices

What are you currently paying for a unit of electricity?
I don't get a hard on about switching and saving £2 per week but paying OVO 17.5p per kwh which seems excessive.
R D S wrote:

elec 13.97p/kWh and 13.87p/day gas 3.07p/kWh and 11.55p/day
(all inc VAT) Utility Point, fixed for 18 months, no exit fees
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 15:04:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Lecky only Utilty Point inc VAT:
12.0265p/kWHr 11.02395p/day fixed but ends in 20 days ish...
Might be worth the OP looking at Bulb and using my "refer a friend" link:
https://www.bulb.me/davel2038
As both they and I get £50 credited to our repective accounts. (That's a lowercase L). £50 is enough make the effective p/kWhr some what lower than that quoted on the tariff.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/09/2019 19:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Payday!
Andy Burns brought next idea :

That doesn't seem to be available now...
Cheapest MSE could find for me was Outfox The Market FIX'D 19 2.0 E 13.545p 9.450p per day G 2.751p 20.685p per day
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I only switched to it 5 weeks ago, but they seem to change rapidly
<https://portal.utilitypoint.co.uk/OurTariffs > Outfox The Market
Bargepoles etc

The best deal, of course, is going to depend on how much you use of either. I use Flipper, and they have me with People's Energy.
Elec 12.41524 and 21.2 Gas 2.74857 and 21.2
--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

That is why you can only make a price comparison with someone else if your annual energy usage is near identical. Some tariffs (including standing charges) may suit low energy users rather than high energy users, and visa-versa. Some of the often recommended companies claiming low costs and simple charging regimes (easy to understand bills) tend to suit low energy users rather than those who have mid to high energy usage.
I use Flipper, and they have me with People's Energy.

As a matter of interest which algorithm do they use to select a new supplier and when do they flip?
IMO the industry generally uses a misleading method of calculation to determine savings, especially if you are already on a low tariff fixed price contract. If you have six months left on the contract your existing annual cost will be determined as 6 months at the low fixed rate plus 6 months at the higher price "standard rate" from the same company. This inflated cost will then be compared with, say, a new 12 month fixed price contract from a different company.
Do flipper use the same cost algorithm? If so do they flip perhaps 6 months into an existing contract (and probably get paid commission for doing so) or do they wait a lot longer. Scottish Power used to claim that changing during the contract period to another of their HIGHER priced tariffs offered a cheaper option to the contract you were on - BUT only because of the industry standard method of calculating the current annual cost.
Do you actually check each time they flip that the new tariff gives you lower or equal price energy for remaining length of your previous contact?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m wrote :

You cannot even do that, because the cost varies depending on where you live, your postcode - for the same product, from the same supplier.

The tariffs are region based (on the old electricity boards). So you can compare with someone in the same region. (My Symbio quote was Eastern, BTW)
A lot of tariffs are M pence per unit plus C pence standing charge. This is a straight line: y = Mx + C where C is the y-intercept (the price you'd pay if consuming nothing).
You can plot these lines on a graph and compare them. This will tell you how sensitive you are to consumption - which tariffs are cheapest for which usage, and how much your usage can vary before you fall onto a less-good tariff. You might find, though, that the amount of difference between the top tariff and another 'good' one is fairly marginal.
Theo

Quite.

I dunno. They say they check every month or so I'm on the best deal. What attracted me is they charge up front for the service. Not concealed in the form of commission. Nor do they take commission. Meaning (to me) my interests are the primary one.

I've been with them for a few years - not long after they started. Only once been flipped at less than a year - think because there was a problem with that supplier.

No. If I thought myself capable of checking every single deal, I'd not pay someone to do it for me.
--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

On 08/09/2019 14:54, R D S wrote:

EDF "Deemed Standard" 18.49p/kWh with standing charge 24.95p/day.
--
Max Demian

Symbio 'Sunshine Saver August 19': 11.705p/kWh and standing charge 17p/day, fixed for 12 months until Aug 2020.
Theo
Theo wrote:

Presume they don't bother with comparison sites? also they don't seem to do dual fuel.

You have to tick the 'show all providers' box, otherwise comparison sites only show the suppliers that provide kickbacks.
It's often cheaper to go to separate suppliers, rather than dual fuel.
Theo
Theo wrote:

They never show-up on the Martyn Lewis site, which is quite open about who gives them kickbacks
On 08 Sep 2019 17:16:01 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

And/or the comparision site can initiate the switch for you. Which may or may not mean the comparison site gets a kickback.

When I was looking to switch the in law the other month gas only suppliers seemed a bit thin on the ground. Also with dual fuel tariffs I looked at the electricity price from a agiven supplier for electricity only or dual fuel was the same.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/09/2019 16:28, Andy Burns wrote:

They are showing on energyhelpline.co.uk.
On 08/09/2019 16:14, Theo wrote:

Have you been happy with Symbio as a supplier? They do look quite cheap and my contract is due for renewal, so thank you for the info.
--
Michael Chare

Switch hasn't fully gone through yet, so not enough experience to comment at present.
Theo