griz bandsaw 0513 or 0514

I want a BS to resaw and perform regular service. Any opinions on either model would help. Thanks

Reply to
BErney1014

I have the 0513. I am very happy with this machine. It was an upgrade of my G1148 (15 in). I would make the upgrade again.

I have used this often, but so far have not had to resaw. I have expect this will resaw well if using a decent blade.

I am presently using the as-purchased Grizzly blade, but would upgrade to another mfg for resawing, such as Timberwolf or Highland hardware.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

I was faced with the same choice and went with the 513 and have been very happy. I could not find any deference other then the throat size. I wanted to make sure I had enough HP to resaw and its not let me down. I would go with the 513 and use the left over cash for more blades or stock.

Ed

Reply to
nspam

I have the 19 inch model and am happy with it, but it is my first bandsaw. At the time (about 2 years now?) they had it on sale for $900 instead of $950 so the larger table seemed like a good idea. Got a 3 TPI timberwolf blade (and some others) for resawing green wood and it worked great, until the blade went off and wouldn't cut a damn thing anymore. I learned that these blades basically get tossed and not re-sharpened. I also cut some bark with it which is a no-no. The blade that came with it was not up to the timberwolf quality. Just last week got some of the Highland Hardware resaw blades (wood slicers, 1/2 3-4 TPI). I am making some bracelets for christmas, glued up a bunch of 1/4 to 1/2 inch woods, rotate 90 degrees and slice into thin slabs, stack them up after rotation and glue them back together, then lathe. Well I just can't believe how smooth and easy it was to slice these up (I know its a cut but it did seem like a slice!). I did use a drum sander (homemade using a shopsmith) to smooth them a little and drop the thickness 0.01 or so before gluing. I guess $200 is alot for just a larger table so the 17 incher should be identitical in performance as far as I can tell, the manual is shared between the two so I assume they have very similar parts and motor. Dust collection works great using the two ports. jaime

Reply to
Jaimesummer