Good deal on a shop heater...

Found a great deal on a popane heater for my shop. 2 car garage, runs of a 20 # propane cylinder also with the optional hose.

Have to go to Lowes to get it or order online

is the price for my zipcode...

Reply to
Mapdude

> That is the price for my zipcode...

Must not be too cold in your zip code. I use a 30,000 btu portable propane heater in zipcode 61073 and it just manages to warm things up right around me so I can work without gloves when it's really cold.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom G

That's not a bad deal! Hopefully, your live in a mild area though, it'd likely never heat a 2 car garage here in winter (well, maybe this winter, but this is an exception) If your in a colder climate, I'd suggest this one for the extra $30

use it on cold mornings to get the shop warm initially, and then burn wood to maintain the temp. It's a little noisy, but does have a thermostat that'll shut it off automatically. Stay warm and make some dust! --dave

> That is the price for my zipcode...

Reply to
Dave Jackson

> That is the price for my zipcode...

If your garage is attached to the house, it may be enough. I have a detached garage and use a 30,000 Btu and won't ever try to use it below 20 degrees outside because it just won't get warm enough. I'm in CT, about the same climate as you. OTOH, last weekend I was working with the garage door open.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In Roscoe? Even THIS winter? I bought a 240V Maynard's electric heater for my garage in Madison WI and it's been pretty nice on my unattached garashop this year. Last year I could only get about 20, 25 degree difference out of it so when it got down to 15 degrees I quit working. :-)

This year I got a little more insulation in there and it's been above

30 most of the time so I've gotten a lot more shop time in. It's been great.

Ice fishermen are really ticked off, though. Going to be a pain with the algae blooms this spring if those lakes don't get a good three-week freeze.

Reply to
else24

I'd also check the serial number on the unit against the list of those being recalled. It appears Mr. Heater no longer makes the "Tough Buddy":

there is a recall out for propane leakage.

Nova

Well, THIS Winter, I just open the big door and let the warm air in. And as to ice fishing..last Sunday, my son and grandson and I went fishing, "in a boat" on the Pec river. Never did that before this time of year. Caught a couple of nice Walleyes, too. I thought about one of the 240v heaters but ComEd is raising our rates by 22-24%, so I think I'll stay away from electricity if possible.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

I've got a crazy heater now- I built a propane forge in the garage next to the basement shop, and that sucker will heat the place to about 80* in ten minutes with the garage door open and no insulation. Cost me about $18 when I bought the pipe fittings for the gas and burner. The only caveat is that it burns six pounds of propane an hour, and produces a fair amount of water vapor. (Small price to pay to be able to melt iron in the garage, if you ask me!)

The shop never gets really *cold*, being in the basement- but if it ever does, I'll just open up the door to the garage for a couple of minutes.

I'm ticked off, too. I'm accustomed to snow in Wisconsin, and this year- with all the ground cover dead and exposed, I've been dealing with an allergy nightmare for months on end.

Reply to
Prometheus

I had one of the Portable buddy Heaters try to burn my Garage down once. If the hose connection (while running off of tank) is not tight, propane will leak into the enclosure, and burn off when it reaches the flame on the front. The regulator cannot handle that temp and fails, WIDE OPEN! Known flaw, hope they fixed it.

Reply to
Dana Miller