Gave my new Jess'Em router table a work out! *w/PIC's*

Mmmmmm, power feed... Tom

Reply to
tom

Hello everyone,

I started making 15 more doors for my parents kitchen tonight (yes, I know, I am two years into their kitchen...). I took some of the rough maple that I bought a few weeks ago and put a rough edge joint on them. I then ripped sixteen ~2.75"x7' pieces on my bandsaw.

three piles on the left are the strips, they will become the rails and stiles of the doors. The piles on the right are offcuts that were under

2.75" and will be glued to larger boards for the panels in doors.Face jointing and planing the boards to about 13/16" thickness made quite a pile of shavings,

at the last minute before I left work today I remembered that I was starting on the doors tonight and needed to put together all the parts I needed for dust collection on my new router table. It seems strait forward enough, but no one that I know of makes a 4" to 2x2.5" port so I had to cobble one together with a 4" wye and two 4" to 2.5" adapters. The 2.5" hose connected to the under table connector on the Excel table easily enough, but in our rather large inventory of DC accessories at work, I couldn't find anything that fit the fence port. It either slopped around with a large amount of play or was just slightly too large. I made a quick call to the Jess'Em sales rep and he told me it was made for the OD of a shop vac hose, which is 2.25". He could order me the part I needed, but I needed one tonight. I had one connector that was just a

*little* too large to fit into the fence port, so I thought I would modify it. I mounted the plastic fitting in a four jaw chuck on a small General International lathe and turned down the OD of the connector just enough that it fit into the port on the fence. Here is a shot of a full DC hook up on a Jess'Em Excel router table,

all the stock dimensioned, it was time to run my sixteen

2-7/16"x13/16x7' boards through the router table to put the stick profile on the boards,

the power feeder on the router table made this job a snap. Also with just good DC, there was almost nothing on the floor and the cut was *much* better than on my old router table. It turns out good dust collection on a router table is very important to the quality of cut. Not recycling shaving into the cut improves things a lot.I only got to spend about 2-1/2 hours in the shop tonight, but I got all the rail and stile material milled. Next time, prep stock and glue up 16 panels!

I have to wonder what the neighbors think when they look over and see,

loud noises and me with big ear muffs on...

Every neighborhood has one, in mine I'm him.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Hello there,

I just recently sold one of my two lathes, one of my three jointers, one of my two Unisaws and my old router table. Stuff just follows me home from auctions...

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan