garage light

And that, in my opinion, is where the unions totally fumble the ball and fully lose my respect. I AM a union member. I work in a closed shop and I had to chose between paying dues or finding other work.

Job protection should only come up when a guy is actually trying to do the job in some serious sort of way. It's a much more constructive hammer if you only swing it when there's a nail to be hit.

Where I work, if you have an accident, with or without an injury, you can either go to to the clinic and pee in the jar / blow in the straw or you can go home and stay there. If you go to the clinic, the union will try to keep you employed. But you are no longer an equipment operator. That's the trade off. The company (through no fault of its own) loses the training they have invested in you and you lose your pay premium ... dropping back to just about a buck an hour more than the temps make and kissing off your 'benefits' for 90 days. After a year (AFAIK), you can reapply for your old job. If sent to a rehab program, it must have been completed per the original agreement.

The union helps people kill themselves when they shield them from the job consequences of their drug problems. That's a shame. What's a crime is that they often help them kill others on their way out.

DAMHIKT, but I do.

Reply to
Bill C.

Thank goodness I'm a proud Teamsters union member, eh?

I'm getting paid on the low side of janitorial wages.

No problem. I've almost got my basement workshop up to snuff and my skills improve weekly. I'm turning out bowls thin enough to be translucent, strong enough to be useful and pretty enough to gather dust.

The financial situation is actually quite a bit worse than I wrote. But I'd rather not write more. It is enough to say that this is definitely a 'bootstraps' operation. ;-)

Reply to
Bill C.

Like I said, Management WANTS this option for bargaining reasons. Union officers WANT this this situation to pad their pockets. BOTH parties are driven by GREED. Management is at fault, unions are at fault - I currently have little use for neither of them. Decent, hard working people who WANT the system changed are screwed.

Reply to
Stephen Young

FWIW, one place I worked was non-union and of course the idiots decided to unionize. The main result for me was that I took a pay cut.

There was once a need for unions--now they seem to be becoming more and more a liability.

Reply to
J. Clarke