For Silvan

Straight talk! I like that in a person. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sorry to hear this, hope things start straightening out soon.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Silvan...

Bummer - I hope thing go well and that Renee needn't be in the hospital for long.

Good time to get into the shop (you can't spend /all/ your time at the hospital!) and make some small (but beautiful) Welcome Home gift. Something to express love and keep mind and hands busy.

Best wishes.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Don't send them north to Albuquerque. We also have our fill of idiots teaching here who's goal it seems is to make a paycheck and go home. Their "Professional" goal is to push as many kids as possible into McJobs for the rest of their lives.

Reply to
John DeBoo

Both of you guys are correct. Neither of you are right. Half of all teachers are above average, half are below.

Every profession (yes, even the legal profession) has both stars /and/ twits.

The sad fact of life is that the twits draw our attention much more effectively than do the stars.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Sure Thing Dave

Reply to
rsmith5296

Speaking of paychecks...Bedford County is about to vote on upping the top pay for teachers to $54,000+ from its current $49,500 or so.

Silvan really ought to check into salaries in the Blacksburg area, 'cause that's a college town and a wealthier area in general than Bedford. Lots of light industry and college related industry (Virginia Tech ain't JUST a football school).

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Boy howdy! ... you hit the nail smack dab on the head with that (OBWW).

There was an "initiative" by the educrats hereabouts a couple of years ago to "key" primary education directly to the _needs_ of the corporate/business sector.

IOW, dumb them down (even further) and make them happy flippin' hamburgers in a service industry ... a damn sight easier to teach 'em that way.

I am not sure, but I may have been one of the outspoken who put that one out to pasture. Then again, those sneaky bastards may have implemented it under some other guise.

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry to hear that. My Linda is one of the sweetest, most gentle creatures on the face of the earth, but on the trip to the hospital at 3 AM for an emergency gallbladder operation, I heard some language from her that would make a sailor blush ... that was one of the keys to me knowing without a doubt that "this is serious".

Keep your chin up ... you'll both do fine and come out the other side.

Things like never happen at a convenient time. I had a full, 6 member band due in the studio for a weeks recording, _flying_ in from all over the WORLD at huge cost, at 9 AM that same very morning ... and a kid still in middle school.

The kid didn't miss a minute of school, and said band was never even aware that my wife was in the hospital while they recorded a complete album in the next five days... who needs sleep?

Both of you are in our prayers ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Hey! I resemble that remark!" :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

Sorry to hear that - here's hoping/praying for a great outcome and this becomes just another speed bump on the Road Of Life as soon as possible.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Uhhhh - are you sure? Isn't that the median? :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

Tim Daneliuk

Actually, mathematically, it is possible that all but one are below average. Not likely, but it *is* possible.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

...and in a one teacher school, the lone teacher can only be average.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Isn't usenet wonderful? (-:

I almost didn't post because I knew all my fellow geeks would ignore the message and pull out their Cliff notes to check the math. Must have been something perverse in me that made me click on "send".

Ah well. The next part of the discussion will attempt to deal with the case where there are an odd number of teachers...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Did someone mention chopsaws?

-j

So true, in MN we're constantly told that the Albuquerque Public School kids test above average. What a vessel of bovine fecal material! If they are all above, then who the hell is below? Someone has to be, unless some of the Educrats *NEW* fuzzy math is at work here. One plus one equals three (depending upon the density of one)! John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Wasn't she a sewing teacher, no, that was hatchet face. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Come on. Don't appear obtuse. When a state school system says their kids test above average, they're saying that the "average" of New Mexico kids are above the "average" of all the other states. Am I totally missing something?

bob g.

John DeBoo wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway