Neighbor's Wood-Burning

I have a friendly helpful next-door neighbor here in the woods (PA) where the zoning ordinance does NOT prohibit open burning. This is a lifelong neighbor (30+) who grew up along with us and with whom we have up until now been on very good terms. (The good terms do not extend to neighbor's wife.)

For the past month, our home has REEKED of whatever it is that he has been burning. We live on a dead-end road, but I don't want to give the impression this is, like, Deliverance-style territory. It's just a

70's-era development in the Poconos. We're not concerned that he's burning something necessarily illegal as we are that our home is becoming uninhabitable because of the smoke.

I phoned two Saturdays ago. Neighbor's gnarly wife answered, claimed "We've burned twice a week for ten years!" (patently untrue), and that "*I* don't smell a thing." The response, while not out of character for this woman, was a bit more unfriendly than we're used to, even for her.

The smoke got even worse, so we actually phoned neighbor's mom, who lives in a house out of line of the drifting smoke. Result was that smoke stopped, and next day, neighbor drives over to apologize and give me a hug. I thought the problem was solved.

Two days later, the burning started again. Because neighbor is extremely well-employed, I could see it wasn't a matter of his burning on yet another Monday mid-morning, and I started to wonder if he installed some sort of wood-burning device inside his home whose vent is aimed directly our way.

What if anything can we do to settle this nightmare? This would be like something from Seinfeld if it wasn't causing such pain. If we contact him again (and we'll have to do it when we're sure we won't instead get wife-from-Hades), we'll 1) "take back" the friendly reception of our complaint to his Mom, or 2) show that we don't believe his explanation of "just extra wood left over from chopped trees." He would have had to cut down half his lot in order for the burning to be going on this long.

Any advice--mechanical, structural, legal, seasonal (!)--desperately needed and appreciated.

Reply to
tioga0630

Actually this is a woodworking group. You may want to call Dr. Joy Browne to find out what she recommends. There may be something serious going on, like cremation or meth-lab work.

Reply to
Phisherman

Drive-by shooting?

Or, call a lawyer/county/town hall/zoning officer. We're wood-dorkers, here.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

In most areas of the Poconos burn barrels are legal to use but most townships restrict to Saturday burning only. As we say to the complaining New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."

My only concern would be if he was burning pressure treated wood. He might have been burning leaves.....

Reply to
Rumpty

Is there any health angle you can pursue? Medical, asthma, stubbed toe? Perhaps a lawsuit on the basis of reduced health? I don't think he is insured for that. Health angle, property value angle will go nowhere.

Best find out what he is burning. Painted wood. Construction waste is usually not allowd.

Will you keep us posted?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too." Then we take their Yankee money.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Take up ham radio as a hobby......"you'll see".

or have > I have a friendly helpful next-door neighbor here in the woods (PA)

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Welcome to Florida. Now, go home!

My motto.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

LRod responds:

Been there. Was glad to go home.

June in Orlando is not as bad as July, but it ain't much fun for fat people.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Richard Clements

Orlando is horrible. You have to be near a coast for summers to be tolerable. The furthest inland I've lived in my 20+ years here was Jacksonville, but I was young and chasing women, so I didn't notice.

Hollywood (in my yout') and Ormond Beach (now), while hot in summer, are quite pleasant, in terms of climate. (I've been hotter in Chicago). Let's just say I'm really glad to be out of South Florida.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

You're entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of your property. Make some discreet inquiries to an attorney.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

LRod responds:

I was stationed in J'ville many decades ago (not an exaggeration--'58). I was

20 and about 100 pounds lighter and was chasing women in my spare time, of which there was plenty, so I couldn't tell you if it was cold or hot in June and July and August and September. I do know that in early December, when it dropped to maybe 65, everyone seemed to just sprout heavy coats, something of a surprise for a New Yorker.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Can someone explain that to me?

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Two things about your responses (and thanks for them!) make me have to ask if you're from Pennsylvania, too. Could the "Eddie" possibly be spelled another way?

Very coincidental...

Reply to
tioga0630

Find a nice loud leaf blower. Fire it up and aim it at their house whenever they are burning.

Wear ear protection.

Another alternative is to buy a santa suit, stuff it full of fiberglass insulation and when not a creature is stirring on xmas eve bring out a ladder and a broomstick and stuff it down the chimney. They will get the message next time they light up.

-j

When out on the roof there arose such a clatter, The neighbour sprang from his bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window he flew like a flash, tore open the shutter, and shot Santa in the Ash.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Last time I went to Florida was a December to get away from the cold. When I got there, there was an ice storm. All the interstates were closed, hotels were all filled up, and I slept in my (cold) car. Haven't gone back and that was 15 years ago.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ya we do the same, if they don't shut up we tell em to take I-80 East...

Reply to
Rumpty

Yer gonna get a lump of coal. Neener neener neener.

Reply to
jo4hn