Glue on Clamps

I have sinned -- Through several glueups I have accumulated a large amount of glue drips on the bars of my Bessey clamps. I am having trouble cleaning the glue and it is interfering with the operation of the clamps -- any advice to remove the glue ?

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Depends on the type of glue.

Titebond can be softened with vinegar or a heat gun. If it's Gorilla Glue, you might have a problem. I don't know *anything* that dissolves that stuff after it's dried. Scraping and picking would seem to be your best bet.

Doug Miller

Hmmm. Whenever I get glue on a Bessey clamp, it can be chipped off using a putty knife, awl, or a thumbnail. I thought one advantage (of many) is that dried carpenter's glue doesn't stick to them easily.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman responds:

Might not be a really terrible idea for him to lay on some Johnson's on the bars for the next time.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Slam the clampheads into it. They are rugged clamps - that's why you bought them.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

I've got a question about that and other uses of wax such as putting it on a tablesaw surface. What are the chances that some of it will transfer to wood and affect the application of stain or some other finish?

Reply to
Upscale

So how many guys should come over for the "laying of the johnsons?" ;)

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Steer clear of the waxes that contain silicon. These *can* transfer to wood. Johnson's paste wax seems to be a good option. Just apply, allow it to dry, then buff off. I've not had any problems transferring to wood.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter

Upscale asks:

Not high. I've been waxing table tops for a lot longer than I want to recall right now and I do not recall wax as a source of finish problems from anything cut on them. Not to say I don't recall finish problems, but none that were wax-related or could even be pointed slightly in that direction.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Lazarus Long asks:

Depends on the guys' interests.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'll be damned if I'm going to put my Johnson in a clamp

Oh, you mean the wax, never mind.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I wax my table and fence all the time.. not much choice with aluminum... As far as I can tell, the only time I've had any transfer was once when I forgot to buff the new wax before using the table..

Reply to
mac davis

I've never got glue on a clamp, of course, but I did hear that you could take it off with a plastic putty knife and rubber mallet...

Reply to
mac davis

For me, the start of every finishing schedule is a thorough wipe down with naptha. (Especially if I've "tack-ragged" a project.) It de-waxes, de-oils, cleans; and it evaporates almost instantly.

Michael Baglio

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Wire brush in a drill will make short work of getting rid of the glue

John

Reply to
John

Send those nasty, useless things to me for disposal and tell your wife to buy you new ones.

Reply to
Silvan

Buffing it out is the key. If you, say, slather it onto a plane sole, let it dry, forget about it, then, just for the sake of argument, mind you, pick it up a week later and try to plane something with it, you'll wind up having a rough time pushing it the first few strokes, and you'll smear wax all over the wood. Hypothetically. This has never happened to me, of course.

Reply to
Silvan

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:23:41 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Oh, but of course. Properly used, one applies the wax, lets dry for no more than 15 minutes (important note), and buffs well. Just for the sake of argument, you also must remove the iron before doing this or you will quickly find your buffing cloth and fingers mysteriously becoming much thinner and covered in RED bodily fluids. (No, there's no DAMHIKT here...for this one, anyway.)

This sig complies with your apparent state of mind(?), Sylvie.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques