Footprint chisels?

I found a local seller of these, does anyone know about them or where I can read up on them? The website contains zero info about anything they make

. Any experience?

thanks all,

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Hi AArDvarK,

Footprint were for many years the standard issue chisels used by the Royal Air Force workshops. They're a reasonable middle-of-the-foodchain chisel.

They don't work straight from the box - the backs need quite a bit of flattening before you've got a sharpenable chisel. Once they're fettled, they take and hold a pretty good edge.

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Okay thank you, I suppose fettling would be lapping?

Reply to
AArDvarK

Originally "fettling" was the removal of moulding lines and flash from iron castings.

Nowadays it has become a general term for any sort of "sorting out" required by anything from a chisel to an engine.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I found Sears has them, online only. These are true bevel edged made in Sheffield, take a look:

think I'd buy these before I'd buy the Marples blue chips. Good price for a 9 peice set but who knows if the metal is the famous "sheffield steel"(?).

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

I got a set a couple months ago. I think they are ok.

dave

AArDvarK wrote:

I think I'd buy these before I'd buy the Marples blue chips. Good

Reply to
Bay Area Dave