flipper type door solutions wanted

I built a kitchen cabinet that will sit on top of the counter and have a flip up door at the bottom. I assumed (1st problem), having seen several iterations of this theme that finding appropriate hardware (or other solutions) to implement such a door would be no big deal. Now that I'm attempting to purchase said hardware, I'm finding various problems.

The cabinet is 11.5" inside. The smallest flipper slides I've found require 12".

The lid stays made for flip up doors seem geared toward overhead cabinets and open the door to 75-90 degrees. Since my door is at counter level, a 75 degree opening won't cut it. I'm sure I've seen (in a catalog or some such) European cabinets that open to ~125 degrees or so.

I guess a tambour door is a solution. I'd rather something else, though.

You folks have any other ideas, or suggestions for where to get hardware? BTW, I have looked through a number of sites (LeeValley, WW Hardware, CShardware, etc.)but if you have a specific item in mind, please share the link, since browsing/searching may not catch all the available items.

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

Unfortunately, you may be stuck with that option, sans an inventive mind and the patience to implement a solution in wood.

That said, and IME installing flipper doors, even if you could find one it would still not be suitable for counter top use as they rarely retract far enough when top mounted to not limit access in some manner to the space.

12" is a minimum that seems to be ubiquitous on metal slides these day, so it is doubtful that you would be able to even 'roll your own' by somehow duplicating/modifying, by using store bought slides, the "follow strip" principle used in most flipper door mechanisms

What I would do in your situation, is to study how flipper door works and see if you can't duplicate the idea behind the "follow strip" in wood.

An alternative solution, other than a tambour door, would perhaps be a drop down door, hinged in some manner at the bottom. It may even better serve your purpose for ready access, and would certainly be easier to implement.

Just a thought ... and though the tambour door is the "standard" standby, it is not always all the easy to implement as an after thought, IME.

Reply to
Swingman

Renata,

Don't have a link for you but a suggestion you may want to consider. I've made hinges of various types in the past from brass / steel / aluminum / copper stock. You can find what you'll need (1/2 wide x 12" long strips) at craft stores, hobby shops and certainly on the net. With a drill (preferably a drill press) a file or two and maybe a little silver solder or brazing (if needed), you can fashion your own. You already know what one looks like - just use that as your template and make it to the dimensions that work for you. It definitely is not rocket science and no special tools are needed that you probably don't already have.

As I said, something to consider - or perhaps find a blacksmith (yes they're still around) to make the hinges for your.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Rotate your cabinet 90 degrees.

Reply to
efgh

Have you considered making your doors pivot and slide in like a barrister bookcase cover?

2 short dowels protruding from the ends of the door at the top will serve as the hinge and slots cut in the sides will allow these dowels to slide to the back of the cabinet. Then you only need 2 more dowels in the sides just below and behind the door to act as the pivot and hold the front of the door up when it is open and slid back into the cabinet.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

One reason to get others' opinions - sometimes the obvious escapes me. Like this idea. You know, this might actually work. Have to think about it some.

Yep. Kinda in the back of my mind as well. Maybe I oughta bring in more to the front, since I'm gonna take advantage of the fine 67 degrees today and spray the cabinet, - just prior to final assembly (install back).

Thanx for all the advice/ideas! Renata

Reply to
Renata

Hmmm. I'm kinda liking this as well. Barrister bookcase style is what the flipper slides do, but given the problems I'm encountering, this "manual" solution might be just the ticket.

Thanx Renata

Reply to
Renata

Here's something that would work - but for one little problem...

at between $115 and $145, I don't think so.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Ouch!, the price we must pay for poor planning/afterthoughts/add-ons. :(

However, I'm gonna keep those in mind for the next rich client ... thanks for the link.

Reply to
Swingman

How about a pair of offset hinges

and a couple or ten strategically placed rare earth magnets to hold it open?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Have you thought about using a Barrister Bookcase sliding hinge?

Reply to
strikerspam