Storm Door Advice Wanted

I need a new storm door for a south facing door on our home. The current storm door has been on the house for 8 years. After six years, the door had visible corrosion (bubbling finish) on the lower solid panel. Two years later an the corrosion has grown to the point where the door has to be replaced. I bought the storm door at Menard's, a Midwest home center chain, but do not remember the brand.

I'm looking for advice on how to select a storm door that will last longer than this one did. If you''ve got experience that you can share about brands, design or assembly, materials, or what to look for when purchasing a storm door, please pass that info along.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
kc

Out here on the East Coast we have Home Depot and Lowes as the two major Home Centers. I have purchased Anderson Insulated glass storm doors from Home Depot and I am quite satisfied with them. They are well made and provide good heat/cool insulation. The 4000 and 3000 series are particularly good.

Reply to
Philly

Why not sand it to get rid of the corrosion and to roughen the surface, wash it, then paint it to match the main door?

Not much work, or expense. Getting a new door and hanging it entails both.

Reply to
Jack S

Jack S - The door is too far gone for sanding and painting. See the photo links below. It looks as though it rotted from the inside out. By the time I noticed it was bubbling a couple of years ago, the damage was too severe for repair.

Interior bottom panel:

bottom panel close-up:
bottom panel:

kc

kc wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

That door is pretty f*d up. Have a lot of drive-bys there or something?

Reply to
Red Green

Nope - it's had a pretty easy life. It is used just 1 time a day. I'm thinking it was defective or just cheap, because it looks like it rotted from the inside out due to water penetration.

Reply to
kc

kc wrote: ...

So someone goes in one day, then out the next??? :)

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:g3cb5j$qe2$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Yea, it's labeled Push on both sides.