Door advice wanted please

I hope someone can advise me on this problem.

We have a double-glazed front door (metal frame covered with PVC or similar, i.e. not a wooden door) with an integral lock that works like this: normally, when the door is not locked, you still need the key to get in from outside, but inside you can just use the handle (with a lever like an internal door) to open it. If you lock the door, there are locking points along the side of the door opposite the hinges, with 'hook' shaped catches that engage with the metal holes in the frame. Then when locked, you need to use the key to open the door from either side. That's how it should work (hope that all makes sense).

Anyway, I've introduced a problem. At the weekend I was cleaning around the door frame which had got dusty and dirty over the years, and I noticed that several screws were not tight so I tightened them up. Since I did this, I can no longer lock the door as described above - if I try to turn the key it won't turn all the way round. I loosened some of the screws in the door itself and I can just about turn the key now with difficulty, but my wife can't manage to lock it, so she has to leave it unlocked. Of course nobody can just open the door and walk in, but I don't like leaving it like this for security reasons.

I've obviously introduced this problem myself. It seems that having loose screws must be an essential part of the adjustment - I foolishly thought they had worked loose over the years.

I now wonder if the hinges can be adjusted to get the door right - I also tightened up some screws on the hinges that seemed loose, but maybe these were meant to be adjusted to get the door to hang properly. This seems to me to be the most likely adjustment it needs but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I feel a bit of a dipstick now and wish I'd never touched the bloomin' thing! :(

The door is too old to be able to call anyone in under a warranty so if I can sort it myself I'd prefer to do that.

Thanks for any help.

Flummoxed

Reply to
Flummoxed

"Flummoxed" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I had a very similar experience with my patio doors.

On advice, I tightened up all the adjusting screws on the hinges (to get a "reference point") then played with the adjusting screws for a couple of hours - only adjusting ONE hinge at a time.

I eventually got there!

Hope this is some use.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

You say it's been some years since the locks received any TLC. Have you tried oiling the lock mechanism and/or hooks since this problem occured?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

|You say it's been some years since the locks received any TLC. |Have you tried oiling the lock mechanism and/or hooks since this |problem occured?

Graphite Powder is reputed to be better than oil for locks. Never tried it myself, and still waiting for my locks to gum up with mucky oil.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I've only ever used graphite on my locks, and I'm waiting for them to gum up too! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Peter Lynch wrote: "You say it's been some years since the locks received any TLC. Have you tried oiling the lock mechanism and/or hooks since this problem occured?"

I didn't actually say that but I may have given that impression, sorry. I only recently lubricated the lock itself with graphite powder, and the moving parts all move freely when the door is open. The problem seems to be that I've inadvertently messed up the alignment so that when the door is shut, the catches are probably not engaging properly with the frame any more. I suspect the hinge adjustment is what I've messed up, as suggested by Terry.

I'll have a go at adjusting the hinges tonight to see if I can sort it out. Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

Cheers

Flummoxed

Reply to
Flummoxed

Almost certainly a hinge problem, with the door closed is it square with the frame?

Reply to
Scabbydug

Can't check at the moment, but the door still fits OK into the frame. The adjustment must have been small, but enough to make the door catches (the 'hooks') not quite fit into the metal rectangular 'holes' in the frame any more. I'm going to try slackening the hinge screws a bit tonight to seee if I can fix the problem. I'm now assuming those screws in the hinges are meant to be loose as adjusters, and weren't meant to be tightened up as I thought before.

Cheers

Flummoxed

Reply to
Flummoxed

Progress report: I made a quick "adjustment" to the hinges last night - basically just slackened them off slightly and I could see them move as I did it. Not very scientific as I don't yet fully understand how they work. Had to go out in a hurry last night so not much time to investigate further - but it did the trick, at least we (including the missus) can now lock the door properly without too much difficulty. I'll have a closer look when I have more time.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied for the feedback.

Cheers

Flummoxed

Reply to
Flummoxed

In article , Bob Eager writes

Reputed to set like concrete when 'assisted' by WD40 so watch out they're never mixed.

Reply to
fred