Flesh Sensing Kapex, Track Saws, Domino ??

Yeah, I had not thought of that. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Sez the guy with a garage full of Festools.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So Leon doesn't get emotional about Gass and you (and I) think he's a scumbag (emotional). What does a "garage full of Festools" have to do with it?

Disclosure: I have my share of Festools, too (no SawStop).

Reply to
krw

,

Gass, never met him, but he has a reputation for his abrasive behavior. I don't see much commentary about the actual technological achievements, but it could be he has taken this as far as his own talent can take it. While furthering his own agenda he has no doubt sunk countless hours and dollars into defending the blade stop patents.

ideas and energy could be a real boon to SawStop. Plus, a billion dollar c ompany with a hard of lawyers will be defending the SawStop technology as t hey have aggressively done with their own products.

e technology and its ancillary developments.

other to incorporate

rrangement - would you

Gass is part of the company?

What does owning a particular brand of (quality) tools have to do with it?

Where's the "emotional" comparison between your feelings about Gass and som eone else's choice of manufacturer?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Also an emotional decision. For most purposes most Festools aren't any better than the competition in the same price range.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And here I thought they cut the stuff on the ceiling!

Reply to
Markem

Who is the competition in the same price range? Fein? Not nearly the same offerings. Do you own any Festools?

If you think buying Festool is emotional, yes it is if you like the color and only buy Festool because you believe that Festool has the best of everything. I don't do that and neither should anyone else. That would be irrational, like turning down a tool that can be good regardless of how it was brought to market.

The next to last power tool that I bought was a Makita trim router, actual last was a Festool Sander, my third.

Reply to
Leon

First, there really isn't any close competition for many of their tools. The first Festool I bought was the track saw. At the time, anyway, it was about the same price as the competition but they didn't have close to the variety of accessories that Festool offered. No competition at all. You could argue that their jigsaws are comparable with Bosch. I don't think you're going to find competition for the Domino.

...or are you just jealous that others have what you can't afford?

I'm also scratching my head about the link between Festools and Gass. I understand not buying SawStop because of the horse's ass but having a hair across your ass for Festool because of Gass??? Weird! Just weird.

Reply to
krw

I'm guessing it was an emotional response. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The point is that Leon is criticizing others making "emotional" decisions when he has a bunch of Festools that he bought on the basis of emotion.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Were you there when he bought them? Did you have your couch and note pad with you?

"So Leon, tell us how you were feeling when you bought the Kapex."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hey, if he knows what's going on in my mind then I get to know what's going on in his.

I'm not really interested in discussing Leon.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No equivalence at all. You've stated your dislike for SawStop is because of the crap Gass has pulled. That *is* 100% emotional. BTW, I'm right there with you.

OTOH, there are perfectly rational arguments for Festools. Perhaps you can't see them because you don't chose to try (could be an emotional or financial reason).

Then why did you start?

Reply to
krw

The emotion of a good tool that does what he needs, in other word satisfaction, an emotion.

Reply to
Markem

Sez the guy who brought up Leon in the first place.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not criticizing, some make decisions based on features, some make decisions based on emotion. Feaature based decisions tend to be better for me in the long run because I usually get what I expect. If I were basing a decision on emotion I would not be dealing with pertinent information for making an informed decision.

Reply to
Leon

I believe that Festool is not for every one. Anyone that uses their tools quite a bit for years on end, not just on weekends, or for those in the trades, can afford Festool. In the long run their tools save countless hours of labor and they last. Festool is a bargain compared to most of the competition with like tools considering the quality and durability of the tool. With that said I can also see how someone in the trades might shy away From Festool, Bosch, Fein, etc. because of the potential of the tools walking off. It just makes sense to buy tools that are good enough if they are less likely to disappear.

I have noticed that most that criticize Festool and other upper end tools are ignorant of the features and quality of the tools and have no real hands on experience.

My first Festool tools were the Domino and the Festool vac. I was very impressed with the quality and consistent results that I got with the tool. FWIW I am well into my 3rd replacement box of 5mm Domino tenons, 1,800 tenons per box, along with the original 600. I am still using the same 5mm bit that came with the Domino, about 10,000 mortises just for that sized bit. And I do have an extra 5mm bit that is about 10 years old and has never been used.

Anyway I have added a Festool track saw, drill, 3 sanders and thier work bench. I have passed on their routers, Kapex, and jig saw so far. I simply can not justify their expense from an actual usage and return on investment stand point. I am certain that many others use the same valid reasoning.

For those that do not have to watch the purse strings closely the Festool tool is a nice tool to work with.

Reply to
Leon

;!) I have not yet bought a Kapex, because emotions are not a part of my decision making process.

Reply to
Leon

Perfectly fine to have emotions about a tool that you already own, that is not a part of making a decision. I can't seem to part with my 30 year old Honda lawn mower. The chrome mid cross bar is rusted where my

3 year old son would grab it with his sweaty hands and help me cut the yard in 1990.

And going out on a tangent, the wheel bearings squeak, the recoil rope does not always retract the last 12 inches, and the handle bar has some rust. ;~) I know that it's days are numbered and I contemplate having the whole mower rebuilt or trading it in every time I use it, while it still has some trade in value. Yes, my dad traded in a similar 14 year old model for another Honda and was given $200 for trade. He wanted an upgraded feature that the new one had. Mine is a unique 19" commercial model, Still starts on a pull or 2 and does a fine job.

Anyway,,,,

It is ok to make a decision on emotion if that is what helps you sleep at night. I personally don't want emotion to stand in the way of making a good decision when making a purchase.

Reply to
Leon

Sometimes we rationalize what features are important based on emotion.

If you want to buy a car based strictly on safety features, a Corvette is a better buy than a Chevy Aveo. Sometimes you can avoid an accident by getting out of the way fast so the Corvette is for the safety of my wife in the passenger seat. Trust me, it is a purely rational decision.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski