100 Grit Sandpaper For DIY "Track Saw"?

We all know about the DIY saw guide using a strip of hardwood glued to plywood which is then cut with a circular saw. I've always held mine down with spring clamps.

I saw segment on TV where the guy used spray adhesive to secure sheets of 100 grit sandpaper to the bottom to eliminate the need for clamps.

It seemed to work, but his guide was only 4' long. Do you guys see any issues with that method, specifically on an 8' guide?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Other than scratching the surface of what you are cutting, I don't see a problem.

The high friction rubber tape on the bottom of the name brand track saw tracks is a consumable item and available. That tape does not scratch a finished/varnished surface, or laminate surface etc.

Reply to
Leon

I would think spraying glue and laying sand paper is more time consuming than simply using a couple of clamps.... for my needed degree of accuracy, anyway. I often consider or make allowance for some not-so-perfect of cut and have the jointers to clean up any mis-cuts. Even when using the table saw, I sometimes make allowance for cleaning a cut edge (saw marks) with the jointers.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That was my first thought too. That, and the loading it into my van when I take it on the road. Scratching other things is possible.

Do you have a source to offer? Obviously it needs to stick to wood, although a finish could be applied first.

I need to make a new guide, so I'm considering something like this. The 100 grit sand paper method doesn't thrill me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, the first few times, sure. Eventually the payback period expires.

At home, I do the same, except for the jointer steps. I don't have a jointer.

While "on the road" I don't have access to my other tools, so the saw guide cut is often the finish cut.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes! Woodcraft sells the Festool bottom black tape. You can find The Festool brand and the Makita brand tape on Amazon.

Here are a few, just make sure it is not electrical tape at this link.

Leon

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03