What to use as a non-skid material on a circular saw guide? Suggestions?

I found the following post on a forum in the UK at

'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the non-skid effect. As pointed out in other posts in this thread, the Carroll site is not working. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D After recently using a Festo saw and guide at work I must admit I was quite taken with the way the guide had rubber strips stuck to the underside so it could be used without clamps, really neat idea. Messing about in my workshop later with some homemade guides made of mdf with a batten routed down the center i was wondering what i could use for the same effect and rummaging around i came across some self adhesive foam tape that is sold by Carroll tools for their range of drum sanders. it is 75mm wide so I split it into 3 strips and fixed it to the underside of the guides. Crikey it really grips, immovable in fact yet you can just pick it up and move it. It costs =A31.50 a metre and obviously you can make your guides to suit whatever without any massive outlay. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D I found this stuff on the net, but there's no telling how tough it is.

KIMOSABE

Good stuff I use that stuff to protect the bumper of the car if I happen to be putting something in the boot same colour as the car and looking flat to someone behind me, it can't be noticed costs about 50 cents.

Reply to
George W Frost

Thanks for the idea. Where is it sold?

Reply to
KIMOSABE
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
KIMOSABE

Also ... I had/have a roll or two of this stuff ...

over from when I had an RV.

It does a GREAT job for what you describe. I also use it for sanding and hand-held router use.

Because it's so porous, it's just a simple "shake clean," to get the sawdust out.

Cheap, too !

Reply to
Neil Brooks

No, I was just making a guess as to how Fecestool would price this item.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Also ... I had/have a roll or two of this stuff ...

over from when I had an RV.

It does a GREAT job for what you describe. I also use it for sanding and hand-held router use.

Because it's so porous, it's just a simple "shake clean," to get the sawdust out.

Cheap, too !

That's the stuff! Plop it on the bench, drop the work on it and rout/sand away!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I agree, it works great. I've been able to find it at the dollar store.

Reply to
CW

Your original link didn't go to the exact product page but after a little digging around ended up at this page:

that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out to, well, you know...

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Black cloth friction tape.

Reply to
Father Haskell

> and that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out

I'm fairly certain he was just making a joke pertaining to how expensive Festool stuff is.

Reply to
-MIKE-

>>> and that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out

It ain't no joke! :-(

Max (Festool owner)

Reply to
Max

your neighborhood Target, Walmart*, or similar retailer.

The shelf liner stuff is in housewears, with the cleaning products/tools.

Or if you want you can call it Router Mat, and pay Woodcraft's/Rockler's prices. Sears sells it as liners for their toolboxes (or is the plural "toolboxen"?).

Happy shopping!

Reply to
Steve

Father Haskell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a30g2000vbt.googlegroups.com:

That would work, but you risk leaving behind black marks on the wood. (I'm sure it depends on the friction tape.) Plus it would probably lose some of its effectiveness after getting some sawdust on it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

?p=32184&cat=1,110,43466

Reply to
Upscale

snipped-for-privacy@a30g2000vbt.googlegroups.com:

Haven't had either problem. Retains its friction for several months. When it goes, just peel off and replace, a two minute job. Very cheap.

Reply to
Father Haskell