Finally Re-did my dust collection system

Its been a long time coming but I finally took the last 2 days and re-did my entire dust collection system.

My old system was an oneida air 1.5hp cyclone (the old one w/out the canister filter on the end) It was 6" sprial pipe for the main line w/ drops to 4" spiral pipe to the machines. When I moved to my new shop I used the same pipe - but b/c of new machine placement (new spots and the new shop was at least 3x bigger) things were never really right. It always worked just ok - and I was getting more and more annoyed at things the way they were. Monday was pretty much the last straw - I was planing some 4/4 maple and more chips were coming back at me than what was going up the hose. I got pissed, quit for the day and started doing some research. I hit Bill Pentzs' site and pretty much read until my eyes bled. The next morning I started making calls and wednesday drove around north carolina picking up supplies.

The first change - Im now using 6" Sewer & Drain Pipe (S&D) pipe for EVERYTHING. Main Lines and every drop as well as the connections. I made all my own blast gates to help save me some $$. My buddy works in the HVAC field and got me 6" flanges at his cost so I can make new connections to my machines. Holy Snoikes what a difference. I made a new hood for my ridgid planer to fit the 6" pipe - not a speck of chips to be seen. The jointer was just a matter of replacing the existing flange w/ a home made one. The table saw normally had the dust collection on the left side - I closed that up and made a hole in the back bottom and ran the pipe right to it. The Router table I actually reduced from 6" down to 5" b/c I just happen to have some 5" flex hose that was just the right length. Thats all Ive done so far and can I tell you I am now one happy camper. That baby can move some serious air!

Other wall is being done next week - bandsaw, drill press, sander, chopsaw and lathe.

I have a ton of spiral pipe for sale if anyone is interested in it. $350 bucks for the lot include all the Wyes, Elbows, Blastgates, etc.. too much to list but its a ton!

I guess thats a bit of a neener neener for me!!

Im serious about the pipe for sale - If your interested let me know - I just out side of raleigh. Im heading off to vegas for vacation for a week - so If you email me - you most likley wont hear from me for a week.

Ill post some pics when I get back.

Yea - BTW - Thanks Bill - your website rocks!

Thanks, Rob

You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m (remove the _ to get the address)

Reply to
Rob V

If you like your new system now, try replacing the stock impellar with an air foil impellar.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Can you post the link to Pentz' site?

Thanks!

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

Javier Henderson

Reply to
Rob V

What is the thing that makes the most improvement?

Does this have something to do with using 6" pipe all the way to each machine instead of transitioning from 6" main line to 4" branch line?

Does this have to do with the new hood being better made that can catch more dusts and chips than the old hood?

I am just curious.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan