Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:19:35 -0500, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

That's saying something.

Great!

I can't wait to win the system in the sweeps.

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Grrrrrrrrrr...I SO remember being heckled in here for buying up-market Festool...I was labelled a braggart and that..... (I didn't really care because I KNEW that some day I would be vindicated....that day has come... 'gloat, gloat'.)

Yeah'but it will be canceled out with your view towards Sketchup. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:11:34 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

And here we have it, folks, our first Festermaniac! ;)

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:26:33 -0500, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Good attitude. Yeah, when I have to put on my resuscitator and muffs for a series of cuts, and still get chips in my eyes, I wonder why I'm doing all that.

I'd like to get out of the field and into making furniture in the shop, but I still can't see the floor in there...yet.

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Didn't I just tell you the top prize is only $6,000? You won't be able to Afford the System ...

Reply to
LDosser

Yabbut for me to go to Sketchup would be similar to your going from your Festool sander to a Black & Decker.

btw.. I DO see the positive side of SU.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:27:11 -0500, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Yeah, it's in the Festool website section next to the klieg lights. One knows that the proper tool needs the proper lighting.

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:03:35 -0700, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

Sorry. I meant "A sub-system."

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Au contraire ... the necessary shop equipment to make ALL the quality cuts that the Festool plunge saw/guide rail system is capable of would cost a minimum of $5k to $30k, PLUS you can take all those top quality cuts to the job site in one small package.

The truth of the matter, for the professional, is that Festool plunge saw is worth at least three times the current cost of the tool, with a dust extractor thrown in.

Anyone who contends otherwise simply does not fully grasp what this tool is capable of delivering, equally in the shop, or on site.

Reply to
Swingman

This is so true. Mainly working as an eletrician before I got hurt I bought the best tools I could. Even if it was something the employer was supposed to furnish I had my own so I didn't have to share it. Used to piss people off, but having my own tools paid off many times if nothing more then not wasting time and getting home earlier. Not to mention higher productivity translated to a higher wage. Now I'm looking at Festool for the saw and domino of solving some issues and opening some doors. At 60 I'm trying to minimize the things that aggavate me. LOL

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:43:38 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

So, you _like_ Festool, do ya, Swingy? I thought so.

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Two excellent starter choices but don't forget the Festool vac, a serious tool that is necessary with the Domino, or any shop vac. The Domino needs to have the chips cleared out and the vac does an excellent job. But the Festool vac is very quiet.

Then you are going to want to replace your sanders..... LOL

Reply to
Leon

You have to think man! Enter your wife so that when both of you win you get the whole enchalada.

Reply to
Leon

I figured I would get the Festool vac with which ever tool I bought first. I've eyeballed the sanders as well. That part of my operation is pretty dirty and hard to clean up. Hopefully I can take advantage of the 10% available this month. And the funny part is Obama will be paying for it. Since I got hurt at the beginning of

2009 I had very little income and my taxable income is $0. Workmens Comp isn't taxable. They are refunding not just what I paid in but more then twice that amount. I actually called the IRS hot line because I couldn't believe they were doing that. Should just about cover the saw and a vac. 8-)

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:15:56 -0500, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

I hear that, Mike.

I reread the article on 18v impact drivers in the Oct08 JLC and have definitely decided on the Makita BTD141 kit. 3AH lithium.

Have you seen the DeWally track saw, Leon?

I love that pic of the guy trimming the door while it's ON the hinges. So, is this a ripoff^H^H^H^H^H^Hpleasant copy of the Festool product or a licensed product, I wonder? I'm perfectly happy with the clone of a Fein multipurpose tool... Nah, I can't afford even this one, let alone the stable it would create the environment for. ;)

There, see what I mean? Scratch that itch!

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You cannot argue with Makita and history. My wife bought me a right angle

7.2 volt Makita drill in 1983..... While the battery did loose its omph!, it did get it me out some jams up untill about 5 years ago.... Not too bad for a 20+ year old battery. I have been using a Makita drill and impact for about 5 years now and have replaced 1 of the 2 batteries that came with them. Other than the batteries which all go bad eventually, I feel the tools are a good value.

YES! I have seen it. Makita has one too. I will say that I saw a Youtube video where an over the pond contractor type guy that owned the DeWalt and Festool track saw compaired the two...... He preferred the Festool. Festool has been in the track saw business for 30+ years... DeWalt a couple, maybe.

It's catch'n!

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:47:14 -0500, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

I had an old Skil 7.2 nicad drillmotor that kept on going until I gave it to my sister a few years ago and she promptly lost the charger. Why are the new, high-tech batteries failing so quickly when the old stuff lasted forever, hmmm? Sounds like a plot!

Ooh, I'll have to check that out.

Yeah, Amazon showed me the Makita this morning as a suggestion since I'd looked at the DeWalt. Suhweeeet! And _teal_! I do _so_ love teal. ;)

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Blame Clinton.

Reply to
Robatoy

That sounds like an expensive way to get something for free. At least it's for something worthwhile. ;-)

I'll writing a check for $5-$6K on the 15th, so no Festools for me (though I am eyeing a 1400EQ). :-(

Reply to
krw

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:25:38 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

I thought it was Shrub last decade, and The O this one.