Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

Well, I *was* looking for a *straight* edge; something to guide my circular saw when cutting panel goods. Now that I've been shown the advantages, especially dust collection, of the "track" saws, I'm strongly inclined toward the purchase of one.

I'm leaning toward the TS75. In fact, I'm about to fall.

Max

Reply to
Max

I think that a 1.25" ID would be too large. But there are lots of adapters out there. The adapter that Swingman mentioned for the Kreg jig is made by Fein. I measured the Festool Hose, the ID is 15/16" OD is 1.5".

Go ahead and get the Festool vac! LOL. You will probably not use the others again... the Festool vac works really well and is "quiet". Typically the power tool drowns out the noise of the vac.

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:10:57 -0500, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Whassa "3/4 BB", Mawwwwwriss?

The porch frame I just put in was 1.5" out of square. I built it that way because the porch roof/railing/uprights were all skewed and the roof would have looked out of square if I'd built it properly. So, I needed to rip a couple of six foot tubasixes. Nix the SCMS. Nix the Ryobi portable table saur. Nix the Tiger saw. Nix the ryoba. Nix the pruning saw. Nix the razor knife. Nix the Zona saw. Nix the drywall saw. And nix the fret saw. Hmm...what else do I carry?

OK, the ancient Skilsaw gets the job. (Not a hard choice. ;)

I put another piece of tubasix up against the piece I wanted to cut and used it as the straightedge with a very dull HF blade. After the smoke cleared, I put on a new blade that night. The other stick cut in about 1/4 the time, and without any of the smoke. Amazing! (Note to self: remember to replace the blades you use with new ones so you'll have them in the truck when you need them.)

That's exactly what I said and the owner concurred. He added "It's only a rental unit."

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey!! I'm lucky to get away with the expense of the saw, never mind the vac. At some point in time............................

Max

Reply to
Max

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:18:25 -0600, the infamous "Max" scrawled the following:

April Fools! , eh?

Gawd. I'm still using Dad's old Crapsman aluminum circ saw with HF carbide ($1.99 on sale) blades on it. Oh, I did buy a $24 aluminum cutting guide and am using $1.50 HF bar clamps on it.

The thought of plunkin' down $625 (Holy Shit, $1,079 with shop vac! Amazon price today) to replace that setup just chills me to the bone. Would I accept one in trade? You betcha. (Damn, my crowbars just burst into tears again. Gotta go.)

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

See you on the Other Side....

Reply to
Robatoy

You're in the business, right? Section 179 expense ... let Uncle OBama pay for a good part of it.

Well designed, 'top of the line' tools of the trade save time, effort, and material, and improve the overall quality of your work ... and waste of any of those is wasted, and lost, money and opportunity.

Regarding the alternative edge guides and aluminum angle cobble-ups for circle saws ... I did that for 40 years, there is simply NO comparison with these guide rail/plunge saw systems.

Reply to
Swingman

BB = Baltic Birch (plywood)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Typically you can get better pricing on Festool tools when you buy a sander, saw, Domino etc along with one of the vac's. Because the saw will be on sale for 10% off tomorrow you would not likely get much better of a deal getting the vac now anyway. ;~)

Get vac when you buy a Rotex sander or the Domino. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

The dust collection is wonderful. I added a dusto collector to my shop about 5 years ago after dealing with it for the previous 25 years. 3 years ago I bought the Festool Domino and the CT22 Festool vac. 2 years ago I started adding the Rotex Sander and Festool finish sander. Quiet and I no longer get dusty. I no longer have to clean up before going insde at the end of the day. I no longer have to blow out the shop befor applying a finish to a fresh sanded project.

The really cool thing about Festool tools is that they address and fix many problems that you did not realize you had. Storage a problem? You can stack and lock together 6' of Festool tools on top of a Festool CT 33 or CT 22 shop vac. I'm up to about 2' and I am about ready to add another foot with the TS55 saw. That will leave me 3 more feet for more tools. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Seriousely, I use'ta think that way. Then I thought to myself, are you tired of fooling around with marginal tools? Tired of working in a dust cloud? Tired of listening to a LOUD shop vac?

I'm worth it.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Not to worry Leon.

When you get to 6 foot of systainers, just get the Festool step ladder! LOL

I understand completely the concept of buying quality tools.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Grrrrrrrrrr...I SO remember being heckled in here for buying up-market Festool...I was labelled a braggart and that..... (I didn't really care because I KNEW that some day I would be vindicated....that day has come... 'gloat, gloat'.)

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Grrrrrrrrrr...I SO remember being heckled in here for buying up-market Festool...I was labelled a braggart and that..... (I didn't really care because I KNEW that some day I would be vindicated....that day has come... 'gloat, gloat'.) ===================

Hey..., aren't you the guy who does those computer generated systainer images?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You mean the Festool Fridge?

Robatoy

New, to me, Festool site:

Swingman

There is no doubt in my mind that it, together with the Festool table, could be the finest piece of woodworking machinery available... period.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:12:55 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Yeah, right. If the rest of the year shapes up anything like the first quarter has, I'll be in a position to look at Festeringtools for once. Egad, though, they just overprice the living SHIT out of 'em, though. It's like asking what's his butt if I could pay double for his safe saw. It just doesn't seem _moral_ to pay that much. (or right or sane)

That's true, but it only counts when you have too much work to do and too little time. If you're only working 1/4 of the time, it doesn't hurt anything, 'cept your leisure time.

My mind just copped an accent and it sounds like Aunt Bee. I can just make out is saying "That's nice dear. I'm sure the Festerer is quite nice little plunger. Now eat up all your breakfast before you go out to play."

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:55:27 -0500, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

But of course.

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There is a ladder??? ;~)

Reply to