Festool and IWF

After the breakup, the AT&T phones I could find were crap--your tax dollars at work.

If you want a reliable phone these days the only way to get one is to buy a Western Electric off of ebay.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Leon wrote: The fixed pricing is good for the retailer and for you.

Hmmm... should you ever have to convince the customer of that?

If you ever need another job, you should always be able to find ample opportunities in sales! : )

That's true of just about everything we buy, I think. But, rationally, it shouldn't affect whether you buy or not. See my comment above.

Reply to
Bill

No, just remind him of that.

Been there, done that, actually ran my own tire/retail store at 21.

Providing you live a charmed life. There was a PC detail sander I bought, a Free Bosch Impact driver, numerous B& D tools, Skil, the list goes on. I give all of those second and third thoughts.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, I forgot about those exceptions. They can be annoying, especially when not much time has passed since the warranty period ran-out. That reminds me of a microwave oven that I carried in and left on the floor at Sears. They told me I couldn't leave it there, but I showed them they were wrong. I was disgusted.

I try to avoid learning why cheap tools are cheap. I'm not a fanatic though! Having used lesser, to me my DeWalt router is a fine tool! : )

Reply to
Bill

Anti-trust violations proved in court are not theory, but fact.

Yeah, glad you think so.

August 2012, Jack estimated Windows DT market share was 93%. Could it be Gartner is off by .08%?

Jack also estimated that based on how totally shitty MS products are, and that their profit margins exceed even the steenking rich oil companies profits by 3 times, that the good judge Stanley Sporkin was exactly right when he found MS guilty of massive anti-trust violations that resulted in the exact damage to world computing that Jack knew well from first hand experience before the good judge made his decision. Of course the victors of that decision, the DOJ appealed the victory, which happens all the time, well at least once in the history of law. You can bet it cost someone a LOT to appeal a victory.

That was in 1995. Nothing much changed except MS now donates tons of money to our wonderful politicians to insure anti-trust laws hold little weight when it comes to OS junk.

Yeah, what auto company makes 30% profit margin and controls 92.2% of the global market with a car that breaks down 1000's of times more frequently than any of it's competitors? I reckon GM is on it's way to that fortunate anti competitive position.

Are you ready for the American Tribant?

Reply to
Jack

Are you using Windows? If so, you must like it or you'd be using Apple products or Linux. Are you buying a tablet with the Android OS?

Steenking rich? Oh, I do own some of their stock and I approve of their profits.

If they can do it, good for them. Apple seems to be up there profit wise too. No one is forcing anyone to buy MS products. Millions of people must have the latest iPhone and Apple is loaded with cash, but they still complain about MS.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

According to Jack-asses headers:

He's using Windows NT 6.1 which is essentially Windows 7. As usual Jack-ass is full of shit.

Funny isn't it? Jack-ass is big on the American way which is capitalism at its finest, but he refuses to grant the same right to Microsoft.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, and it is junk.

If so, you must like it or you'd be using Apple products or Linux.

Or I am using an overpriced POS because they have cornered the market, which they did, via illegal, anti-competitive marketing practices, which they did, as proven in court.

Good for you. The pundits run around crucifying the "monopolistic" oil companies for making 8% profit margins. Meanwhile there are a ton of oil companies, and every one delivers top quality products at a good price (8% over cost)

Well, if you don't mind driving a POS Tribant, or using a POS OS, sure, good for them, but piss on us. There is a reason competition is good, monopolies are bad.

Apple seems to be up there profit wise too.

40%, compared to under 10% "windfall" profits of the oil companies.

No one is forcing anyone to buy MS products.

No one is forcing you to live on Earth, either.

Millions of

93% of the DT market at 30% profit margin with a POS product. Nothing going on there, right dumb ass!
Reply to
Jack

Idiot!

In the words of Dick Tracy, no shit! I am using Windows for the exact reasons anti-trust Judge Sporkin found MS guilty of violating US anti-trust laws way back in 1995. I was a UNIX administrator for years, ran DOS/WIN and OS/2 for years. I don't think WIN is a POS, I *know* WIN is a POS. I use it because it controls 93% of the market. It controls the market /not/ because it is good, but for all the reasons the good judge found MS in violation of US anti-trust laws.

It's the ENTIRE point of my posts on the subject. Idiot!

Well, MS didn't poor money into my pocket so I would look the other way when found guilty of violating US anti-trust laws that enabled them to dominate 93% of the market with a garbage OS. If they wish to drop some large cash in my pocket, I'll be happy to stop telling the truth about them.

Reply to
Jack

Of course you're using it. Naturally Microsoft is forcing you. Asshole

+1.
Reply to
Dave

All you do is whine, whine, whine. You live in one of the greatest countries this world has ever seen, with the most rights and privileges ever known.

And what do you do with these rights? You WHINE incessantly about your government, your medical industry, your poor, whatever the topic, if it is in the US you WHINE about it.

Greedy, selfish, ignorant whiner. You deserve to have your face back slapped good and hard. You disgust me.

Reply to
Dave

That's the party line. I suspect IBM pulled the plug when success was imminent. Everyone in the OS/2 community was ecstatic because OS/2, (with no help from IBM), just word of mouth from the PC community, finally had reached what most considered critical mass, at 1 million copies sold a month. IBM's response was not to start advertising, or do anything even a 10 year old lemon aide stand entrepreneur would know to do, but to yank it from the market. 2 + 2 = 7, always a reason to raise a jaundiced eye

PC's are hardware, OS is software. Hardware (PC's) developed rapidly, but because MS dominated the OS market, and used a number of illegal anti-trust tactics to maintain that domination, their OS even today has not reached the quality of 1995 OS/2 or UNIX. At the time I suspected the WIN monopoly would set back computing 25 years, looks like I was wrong, it already past that marker.

Reply to
Jack

Clueless. In the early '90s, IBM was in deep trouble. Under Akers, they were borrowing to pay dividends for a decade and were within weeks of missing payroll. There simply wasn't the money to go after the consumer market.

Wow! Really, Capt. Obvious?

Since when does better = winner? Good grief.

Reply to
krw

Right. It's the apps that sell everything else. In the end, that's what killed OS/2 and what's keeping Linux in the geek world (significant embedded, now, though).

I think it's a pretty good use of the hardware we now have. I can't imagine a command line Sketchup. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I can because I wrote some Ruby scripts for Sketchup! : ) Anything you can request be done using a mouse, you can do with text (using the Ruby programming language and the Sketchup API/Libraries). And you can achieve potentially more precision and it runs fast!

Reply to
Bill

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Reply to
krw

Clueless. In the 90's IBM spent more money on R&D than MS made selling software. They spent tons on advertising as well, just not OS/2, and OS/2 was still growing in market share with no help from IBM.

I wasn't the one that said PC's were where phones were in the 50's when the subject was software, so the distinction needed made.

Since when does lousy = winner? Good grief.

When a lousy product dominates 90% of a huge market and makes 3 times the profit margin as say oil companies even the weakest mind in the barrel should recognize Houston, we have a problem. Free markets with modest anti-trust laws don't work that way for long.

Reply to
Jack

On 9/5/2012 7:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: n

Both OS/2 and UNIX can run non-command line apps more efficiently and more dependably than DOS/WIN. That's why WIN is garbage. Good grief.

Reply to
Jack

Good grief! It's dead Jim.

Reply to
krw

You haven't the foggiest clue. IBM was next to bankruptcy. First layoffs in their history - massive. Remember Gerstner? No, you probably don't. You weren't there.

You probably don't know it, but people use software and don't give a shit about the hardware underneath.

The market decides. You (and I) lost. Get over it (I have).

You think M$ makes three times the margin as Apple? You're on drugs.

Reply to
krw