Platform tool box design

I'm thinking about building a platform that will be nice and wide for short people and kids to stand on to get a better look at a model railroad. I figure about 6" would be tall enough.

The box would be built with an outside frame of 2x (either 2x4 or 2x6), with a piece of plywood put on the top to form the platform. Now, for the part that I've been wondering about... If I was to cut a piece for the bottom that fit inside the frame, it would totally disappear during normal use, but allow me to store things we need during setup and tear down of the model railroad safely out of the way.

I think I'd hinge the bottom, but would need some kind of latch to keep it closed during transport. Any suggestions for a simple latch that won't show and be cheap to build while requiring only a hand to turn it?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Why not hinge the top?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny wrote in news:050cd2c8-8946-4bb0-89c7- snipped-for-privacy@a14g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

I'm trying not to give any indications as to it being anything more than just a platform. I suppose there's a way to hide the fact that the top is hinged (or otherwise removable), but hinging the bottom seemed like the easy way to go.

Perhaps I should just build a platform and build/buy a separate tool box. It would be one more thing to carry (and definately not as slick), but it would utilize the space better.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Maybe a custom made gravity/drop latch, like a self-latching garden gate latch, on the inside, with a spring loaded push button release on the bottom side.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I don't have a good idea about how big you're talking, but how about something like this - not necessarily the kit, just the design:

the long sides a bit deeper, put a bottom in it, hinge the top along one side, between the side and the bottom of the top. Use hook-and-eyes on the ends, on the side opposite the hinge, to latch it while it's in use as a step.

Reply to
Joe Makowiec

I made this years ago and it is great.

The box would be built with an outside frame of 2x (either 2x4 or 2x6),

I used 1x cheap pine, but for the top I used Hardwood. I can stand on it at 270 lbs with no problem. I see lots of totes with a dowel for a handle, this is way, way better and more functional.

Now, for the

I don't know what you mean by disappear, but my mine is used anytime I have to take tools out of my shop. The flat top works as a stool, but also as a saw horse to cut stuff. When I fill it with tools, it can weigh almost as much as me, so the bottom is dado'd in 1/4 in ply. I keep some tools, like extra screwdrivers, 30' tape measure, a small hand saw and hack saw Velcro'd to the sides, stuff that I rarely use in my shop, but often use outside. You could store RR stuff in it as well.

Mine is super simple design, super strong, and can be made in an hour or so the first time, less the second time.

Reply to
Jack