Exterior shutters, Anderson Bay Window?

Who, Where: Hi all, I'm an electronics tech working in Silicon Gulch CA U.S.

What: I have an Anderson Bay window in the MBR that is a real solar collector for the afternoon sun. The window measures:

46-3/8" H x 22-7/8" W (Center pane) 46-1/4" H x 23" W (Two side panes) I want to (Magnetically? Velcro? Screws into inserts?) attach some shutters on the windows during the summer months.

Why: The idea is to reroute some of that solar power before it enters the room, in attempt to limit heat rise.

When: It would be nifty if I had a solution ready for next spring.

How Much: I want to spend about $150 for materials, including primer and white semigloss paint.

Critical Information: My woodworking skill level is: Dangerous Amateur I have lots of metalworking tools but only a couple belt sanders, a power miter box and a

12" band saw for woodworking tools.

The local Borgs appear to have 'too-narrow' and 'too short' shutters. The shutter specialty stores I checked on the web can create the parts I need in the proper height as long as I order them either too narrow or too wide.

Ideally, I would just plug in the dimensions with my style and color selection using some website XML, then stand adjacent to the mailbox.

May I have your thoughts on this please?

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Have you considered installing plantation shutters? Would be up year around but open and close very easily to adjust light and air flow. Have used budget blinds plantation shutters in 2 houses and have been pleased with functionality and price.

Reply to
Roger

If cosmetics is of no particular concern - you just want to limit radiation, consider:

  • Window film,
  • Shades, or
  • Drapes.

Or all three.

We have a west-facing patio door. One afternoon, I measured the temperature of a black toolkit receiving full sunlight through the glass doors. One hundred and ten degrees.

Two days later, I installed radiation-blocking window film. At the same time of day, the toolkit was at ambient room temperature.

Reply to
HeyBub

Why not right now, when the sun's at its hottest?

Soitenly, Winnie. First thought is "Why in tarnation didn't he go with a low-e window in the first place?"

2nd though: use an outdoor window shade. Cheap, quick, dependable. If you have a removable screen on one side of the bay, you could actuate it from inside the house or rig an automated motor for it with a switch on the inside. 4' of shutters is going to be heavy and require lots of mounting strength, so that wouldn't be my first choice. How about an inside shade? Put velcro fuzz along the top and a couple pads on the bottom. White/beige/brown/black adhesive velcro is available from many places, eBay being the cheapest and easiest I've found.

Have your wife stitch up a piece of whatever fabric she likes for the inside, attached to a piece of insulating foam. I already have rolls of 1/8" beige foam which I use for my glare guards, so I'd pick that. You can go with something like that (sometimes available at JoAnn's or other fabric store, or at local auto upholstery shops) or with the

1/4" thick black mylar insulating film roll available at Borgs everywhere. Stitch the hook velcro to the insulated side and hang it daily. It will fold or roll up and store in a closet when not in use.
or
'd go with the external shade, myself. Cheap, easy, and it keeps the entire window frame from heating, too. A single, long shade would shield the entire 7-ish feet of window. traditional rectangle
triangle
square
fabric, build your own frame
one just for you, Win.
Enjoy!

-- "Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In addition to Larry's suggestions, for DIY drape type applications, Sunbrella has a variety of fabrics and Joanns presently has some clearance sales on some of their outdoor fabrics. I recently reupholstered a swing canopy and seat cushions with Joann's on-sale fabric, $6 a yard.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

(...)

I'm looking for an external fix. If the solar energy gets through the window, it'll just heat the room up.

Thanks for the site cite. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

I'm a little concerned that the window would suffer from 'reverse-one-way' effect at night, though.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Earlier would be better, yes.

(...)

Ah 20-20 hindsight. :)

Well, heck. I didn't even know these existed.

may be just the thing. Thanks!

Gotta be on the outside. It's 'game over' if the solar energy gets through the glass.

(...)

I like it. $153 gets me shades for all three panes. Thanks!

A triumph of functionality *and* style.

Thanks!

--Winnie

Reply to
Winston

Thinking out loud here, I wonder if I can just buy some window screen frame kits and install any screening fabric I want?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I researched all the items available (online) before purchasing new doublt-pane windows for my house, choosing low-E for their sunstopping strength.

I thought one would be sufficient, allowing you to see uninhibited views out the sides at the same time.

I *knew* you'd like it, and figured it'd fit right in there in San Josey, Wales.

-- "Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was thinking the same thing but his $150 budget throws that idea out. You can't get much, even at blinds.com, for that price.

Reply to
krw

That's why low-E windows have coatings on the inside of both sandwiched panes, inhibiting heat gain and loss from either side.

-- "Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not so much, if you can reflect it back out. That's one of the purposes of the white drapery liners and some window films. Be careful of window films, though. They may void the warranty on insulated glass panes.

Reply to
krw

Simple frame with full lap joints at the corners. You have a bandsaw. Staple or tack the fabric on and apply a small trim molding to hide the staple line. Prior to fabric application, paint the frames and trim to match your home decor/color.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

(...)

One in the center would *help* no doubt. It's only 33% of the area, though.

Three's about a minimum to justify the time, IMHO.

I am not at all concerned with the view of my plastic outside shed. :)

There is a certain liberation in being old and realizing that

*no one* cares what I'm wearing, as long as my torso is covered.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Wayell, what I meant was that at night, the light in the room would make the glass appear very reflective. Sorta like what conference - room windows do in a commercial building when you are in the middle of an 11th hour meeting. Not too good.

--Winnie

Reply to
Winston

OK!

Thanks.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That is called "low E squared" in the business - and is almost standard equipment up here in the "great white north" along with Argon fill.

Reply to
clare

At the insurance office where I spend every morning there is an almost totally glass wall that causes a horific thermal gain. Solar fil was installed and within 2 weeks at leat 4 large panels had failed. When the units were replaced, and again coated with the film, one more broke. It was replaced and everything has now been stable for over a year.

Reply to
clare

That won't cool the frame, though. One of the reasons I suggested the long and large rollup is that it'll keep the window and wall behind it cool, too.

I'll be using this on a screen porch I'm building for a client next week. I got 80% of the framing done Friday and will finish it up on Weds when the screening finally gets here. It was supposed to be in stock at Homey's Despot but wasn't. ($79 v. $159 at Screeneze)