Exterior shutters, Anderson Bay Window?

Oy vay! Denseness doesn't help, sir.

OK, you have a 4' wide center window and two 2' wide wrap-arounds (@

45 degrees) which bring the OAL to maybe 7', right? If you install a 7' or 8' long shade, it will shade all 3 windows from the sun--if the sun is at 90 degrees to the west-facing window. (Simply offset it to one side if it doesn't.) And if you get one which is 6' tall, it will shade more of the wall, too, adding to your comfort.

Erm, that's nice.

P.S: What did you finally do with the redo of your flag driveway last year? IIRC, you were having loads of trouble finding laborers or contractors willing to do it for you.

-- "Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, you meant mirrorwise, not heat-suckingwise. Got it. Yeah, they do that a bit, but not near as much as a mirror. Just slightly more than plain glass. It's hard to notice.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Aren't triple-pane windows standard up yonder, too? Or have you moved to quad now?

LJ, who likes his nice, warm southern Oregon.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Why didn't they just get panes with the film factory installed? It can be put on the inside surfaces so it isn't exposed to damage from either side[*].

[*] Well, that's the plan, anyway.
Reply to
krw

Triple pane are becoming more common but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Reply to
clare

That would have required replacing ALL of the glass on the front of the building. That's well over 1000 sq feet of glass.

Reply to
clare

(...)

That'll be what I learnt today.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ah but area is a big deal when discussing solar energy, yes?

Whoa, big fella. Three windows, each equal sizes (22" W x 46" H).

Gotcha. I agree that is an efficient approach. 'Tis a microscopic back yard though. A shade big enough to work properly would be really out of scale for the (remaining) space.

SWMBO says that she will sign off on the aesthetics of exterior shades, but she agrees we don't have sufficient room for an awning.

It was an entry porch landing. Very much smaller than a driveway. I took a picture of the layout and removed each of the pavers. Placed them 'in position' on a series of custom modified pallets and stacked the pallets using my micro forklift. (My hydraulic cart in drag.)

Unloaded a couple bags of base sand and packed it into the sunken area until it wouldn't pack any more. Used a couple pieces of conduit and a custom made gauge to level the sand at the proper height WRT the edge pavers. Removed conduit. Smacked the leveled sand down with a square packing tool and rechecked level. Placed each pallet of pavers back in position and used a BFRM* to microscopically adjust edge height. Applied polymeric paver set sand to lock them all together. It looks and works a whole lot better now. Discovered what work must be like in the process. Whoa.

*BF Rubber Mallet

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Ah copy that Houston.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What was the outcome of the breakage? Did the film installers cover costs, or the film mfgr, or the glass mfgr/installers, or your ins co? The way it was described, my guilty finger is pointing to the film causing the glass to overheat and break, unless the film installers scored the glass when they cut off the excess. I'm curious.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

'Taint rocket surgery, mon.

I'm hoping so. One of my thoughts is to get some and put it up around my back porch. In the summer, it gets screen fabric. In the winter, visqueen. That would facilitate more civilized barbeques in the winter. It's $2.07 l/f.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oops, I guess I misread it. That's the normal size I see, though.

2/4/2, 2/6/2, 2/8/2, just enough for a seat.

As you said, who cares what the shed (or back yard) looks like?

Bueno.

Yeah, which is why I want back OUT of the handyman business. It's killin' me.

Grok that. Be cautious with one on flagstone. They break very easily. DAMHIKT.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Winston wrote the following on 8/25/2012 10:57 PM (ET):

willshak

(...)

Ain't an aesthetic issue.

We installed a horrendously expensive hardscape walkway in front of this bay window. An awning that dropped down far enough to block the rays of the afternoon sun would take up too much of that insanely costly square footage.

(...)

I can relate.

After the first couple hours, I longed to be sitting in front of my boring old computer drinking ice tea, indoors.

(BFRM)

OK. I never did anything with flagstone but it is purty, installed properly.

I was snapping up some old 4" sidewalk in the back yard for disposal. My first tool of choice was my trusty 24" sledge with full overhead swings.

The concrete just laughed at us. Grr.

The little Hitachi demo hammer was more successful.

Noisy and Fun!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

'Wish I had room for an awning. That'd be nifty.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

So solly.

You betcha. Digging a hole for a hyd floor jack and raising the concrete, then using the hammah, can work/help, too.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

I'm worried that we are starting to think alike. :)

I managed to total my floor jack doing just that. I just *knew* it had a pressure limiter, so I just kept pumping the handle.

It didn't have a limiter. Whoops. Bent the piston, at about 3/4 elevation. I recycled it and bought a new one.

However! I did discover that I could lift the end of a slab with my hydraulic cart and shove a chunk of scrap concrete near the balance point of the slab.

A few good smacks with the sledge on the cantilevered end and one piece became two. I was just goofing around by then because I'd finished breaking up the pad the day before. I figured it'd help the poor foo^H^H^H hard working young men if the pieces were smaller and easier to carry.

I *never* want to work as hard as those guys did.

(I just sent off a couple photos of the cart to the metalworking drop box. I'll provide links if and when the files show up within.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Dropbox photos of hydraulic cart helping demo the third layer of masonry found in my back yard after I broke up the upper two layers for disposal:

Winston

Practically?

Oops.

Whuffo you do dat, son?

OK.

Verily. One can also drill holes in the crete and then try lifting it. It'll break right there. My new hammer drill (HF, not Festool) works just spiffy for that.

Grok that.

Bueno, bwana.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

more?