Extra long brad points in HSS please

I need a source for such bits, 10" long with full length flutes in HSS. It is a REALLY huge search online, any sure thing pointers for a good reasonable price?

(for bench bolting the trestle) any help needed and apprreciated, TIA,

Reply to
AAvK

Why not ship augur?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane,

I have solid center augers, square tapered head type, they won't stay straight in the SCDJ as the flutes are too far apart (SS bits actually have one flute). I suspect the same problem with a ship auger.

The cutting end of the #8 (1/2") won't fit through the 1/2" guide hole either, but I can install a regular shank brad point bit into the Yankee 2101-10 brace, the chuck is made for it. Reason enough?

Reply to
AAvK

If mediocre quality is OK for your application, Harbor Freight sells a very reasonably priced set.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Extra long brad point bits in HSS? Take another thorough look, I did.

Reply to
AAvK

if you are unable to find the bits you want in a brad point, consider getting them in regular 'ol point and learn to grind a brad point. it's not as hard as you might think...

Reply to
bridger

Thanks, I know that can be done but extra long regular bits are a little less cost than brad points, especially in HSS, so there isn't much "point" (lol). Also, I don't use an electric grinder, know of the tutorial website?

Reply to
AAvK

Ijust checked and couldn't find them either. I have a set at home that I'm sure I bought from HF. Either I'm istaken or HF is not currently stocking them. When I get to my shop I'll check and see if they are still packaged with a SKU number.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I've seen them at the local HF store and almost bought them. You're right, they're not on the website now.

- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? -

Full Service Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks Larry, actually I don't want them from HF, if I wanted Chinese I would buy these ones:

more decent price for almost exactly what I want but I think the points are not like the "flat" cutting knives like the Lee Valley ones, "rounded up to the spurs" which is designed for soft woods but the flat cutters will do better for both hard and soft.

I'll just buy the overpriced Fuller for **** sakes.

Reply to
AAvK

Just csme from the library :) where I just happened to see a set in the spring MLCS catalog. At that time they were a sale item, but whether are now, I've no clue...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I went over there and looked. What they have is a five inch extender for their forstner bits.

I ASSume that it would work with other types of bits. I am not sure I would recommend this. You would have to make sure that no unusual lateral forces would be on the extended shank. I supposed if you took it slow and easy, you could get by.

Lee Michaels

The catalog ...rummage, rummage... C-64 p51 shows "7 Piece Extra Long Brad Point Set". Item #9150, Sale Price 14.65, Reg 24.95. 12" long,

1/8" to 1/2" by 1/16".
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"Duane Bozarth" wrote

Duane, you have the exalted kung fu catalog touch down pat. You are no doubt a master of sorts.

I did not see a way to access their print catalog. Here is the page.

Lee Michaels

(undoubtedly again, but then I wasn't interested before) in the printed version...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Michael

From the home page searching for "brad point" leads to a set of links the second of which is

shows item #9150 at the top left hand of the page...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote: ...

Reply to