Eyeglass specifications

This is a "shot in the dark" ...

I broke an eyeglass frame and need to order a replacement, possibly on the web.

It evidently requires specifications like:

Eye Size: 50mm Bridge Size: 13mm Vertical Measurement: 40mm Horizontal Measurement: 48mm Temple Length: 130mm

Those specs were lifted from an Ebay offering.

How can I find specifications on an existing pair of eyeglasses? Any info/suggestions much appreciated.

Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Eyeglasses are dictated by fashion. The lens must be cut to fit the unique shape of the frame, which is not part of the specification and different for virtually every frame made. Go to a "good" eyeglass store or the one you originally bought them from and see if they can identify the make and model and if it is still available to order a replacement.

Reply to
EXT

That has not been true since the advent of plastic lenses, and probably before that.

Plastic lenses are molded, not ground. All those places that advertise "eyeglasses in about an hour" keep a stockroom filled with premade lenses in all the most common prescriptions. They are completely round, as are any lenses an optometrist custom orders. The eyeglass place takes the round blank in the proper prescription, and cuts it to fit the particular frames. Those "in an hour places" have a disclaimer in small print that says that "in one hour" applies to "most prescriptions". If they are out of your prescription, or it truly is a weird one, you won't get them in an hour, because they have to get them either from the manufacturer, another branch store, or the store chain's main warehouse.

The markup on both lenses and frames is HUGE, so stocking one or two deep in every standard prescription is not that big of an investment. It probably costs a gas station more to refill it's tanks.

Reply to
salty

The lenses are CUT to shape to fit the frames and to have their center of focus match your own eye spacing. They must be custom CUT for each person. The machine that does this by GRINDING down the edge of a round lens.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Please try to follow along, and make sure you comprehend what you are reading before posting a reply.

Here is part of my post that you aparently snipped without reading it first:

All those places that advertise "eyeglasses in about an hour" keep a stockroom filled with premade lenses in all the most common prescriptions. They are completely round, as are any lenses an optometrist custom orders. The eyeglass place takes the round blank in the proper prescription, and cuts it to fit the particular frames.

Reply to
salty

TRake a look at zinniooptical.com for truly amazing, prescription eyeglasses and frames, made in China but ordered and shipped from Southern California. I ordered 4 pairs on the web, and reviews have been outstanding. Also see

39dollarglasses

Smarty

The lenses are CUT to shape to fit the frames and to have their center of focus match your own eye spacing. They must be custom CUT for each person. The machine that does this by GRINDING down the edge of a round lens.

Reply to
Smarty

History:

About 20 years ago, I had 2 pair glasses made.

Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159

Very good quality. I still have one of the frames, wear them daily.

Maybe 10 years ago, the other frame broke. I took the lens to a little repair shop and they found an inexpensive frame that fit the lens.

Such inexpensive frame just broke the other day.

Safilo Elasta 1056/N was "discontinued", hasn't been available for years.

If I could get specifications on the glasses, I could maybe shop for comparable Safilo or other quality frames on the web?

As mentioned, the markup on such stuff at eyeglass shops is HUGE. If I could id and price what I need on the web, I could maybe walk into a shop and get a reasonable deal.

Such is the quandary. Any help/direction?

Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Quandry? Man, what a drama queen. You need new glasses. You want cheap. Go to Lenscrafters, Wal-Mart optical, Target optical, or the like. Get glasses fixed/replaced and get on with life.

Reply to
Bill

The Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159 frame is NOT discontinued. In fact, you can get them many places including

. Just measure (in mm) what you currently have and order the frames. If you need help in measuring, just go to
which is on the same site.

Don (who googled Safilo Elasta 1056/N 1159)

Reply to
IGot2P

Actually, in many cases the small local Optician's store is significantly less expensive. The places you mentioned have onsite eye exams that are priced VERY low, which they compensate for, by making more on the hardware. Get the cheap eye exam there, and take the prescription to an independent optician to get it filled. Be prepared to have to fight to get them to just hand you the prescription to take elsewhere. They will do their best to strong-arm you into buying glasses from them. Don't be surprised if they go as far as telling you they CAN"T legally give you the prescription, or other bullshit.

Reply to
salty

I spent a good 30 min. nursing the google search above. The go-optic site was the first I dissected. Halfway down the page it clearly states:

We're sorry, this product has been removed from catalog.

I even tried calling them, see if they could help size a similar frame. No answer. 'Tis only derelict vendors that leave discontinued product on web site fo'ever and ever?

The second link looks very helpful. Many thanks!

Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Yes. Sorry, I shoulda mentioned.

Slightly smaller, come to think of it. I had forgotten ...

The little repair shop did it in maybe 5 min. That's why I assumed it was doable.

Where'd I see such a tray years ago? Goodwill?

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

If memory serves, that's zEnni optical.

might be the correct link. Maybe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're right, and thanks for correcting the spelling.

Reply to
Smarty

Good advice. I wear glasses, and always go to a local optician. The place I like specializes in high-end frames, though. I was probably wrong to think that the original poster could save money by going to one of the discount chains.

Reply to
Bill