Hi, we have a weird problem. We've been using our tumble dryer, a
Indesit IS70C no problem for over a year but yesterday it tripped out
the main circuit breaker in the house. Checked fuse in fused spur,
wiring to the dryer socket and cleared out a ton of fluff from the
dryer and especially around the connections within the dryer.
Power from socket to dryer is sound but when I switch on the dryer it
trips everything immediately.
Checked all wiring I can see within dryer and appears sound. Wondered
whether this model may have either a thermal trip or an internal fuse
or some known problem causing it to trip.
I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.
Get the f**k out to reply.
One possibility - isolate drier, take off cover and check the main
suppressor [aka as filter or capacitor] thingy in the drier. These can
fail, causing the trip, though they can (at the 2nd or 3rd power-on) go on
to blow completely. If it's failed, there may well be a visible sign around
the suppressor case.
As the whole house is going off, you presumably have a single RCD that
covers the whole house. So you have an earth leakage problem with the drier.
When you say that it trips when you switch it on, I assume that you mean
by turning the timer knob on the unit. In which case the fault is not in
any filter (if present) where the supply enter the drier, but is either
with the motor or heater. If you mean it trips when you turn it on at
the wall, with the timer knob set to off, then it is probably a faulty
filter, right where the supply enters.
Back to either a faulty heater or motor, if you can isolate the former
by disconnecting the wires leading to it from, say, the timer switch,
and run just the motor, that will show whether it is the motor or the
If it is the motor, it may have an inline filter that may have gone
faulty. If so, you may be able to disconnect the motor from that and see
if it still trips - if so, change the filter.
What, of course, you really need is an insulation tester, to do the job
without having to apply power at all. It will take a lot longer doing it
without one - as the drier will need to be disassembled and
reassembled between each test.
Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted to put power on with the
unit in bits.
A drier is something that is likely to be used with wet or damp hands -
there is a real risk of fatal electric shock from them. You have to
balance that risk against the cost of getting it professionally repaired
or at least professionally safety tested after you repair it.
Spent the day testing with a megger and took all these suggestions.
Turns out it's the heater. I had no idea how to sort this so I
finally admitted defeat and called in a pro.
I didn't tell him what I thought it was but he came to the same
I'll be watching like a hawk so I can do it myself next time.
Thx to all. That was a bit of a mental workout.
Get the f**k out to reply.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.