Exterior Door is failing

I have a pair of exterior doors that are typical masonite over a wood frame. Despite my best efforts to seal them, they have become wet and the masonite has peeled away from the frame. I have reglued the masonite, and screwed it to the frame but have not been able to make a good repair. I think the masonite is just not moisture resistant.

I understand there are fibreglass doors that resist moisture quite well. My budget won't allow replacing the doors so I have considered stripping the masonite off the frames and replacing with a fibreglass sheet. Does this sound like a reasonable approach"

Any btdt? Any ideas how to make a lasting repair>>

Tnx Eric

Reply to
RubEric

I haven't studied exterior doors much and I don't claim to be an authority on them, but I've never heard of a masonite exterior door. I'm guessing someone tried to save some money by using the wrong kind of door.

Even Masonite's exterior doors don't appear to use any exposed masonite:

You may have to keep doing hack fixes until you can afford the right door.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Where are you going to get a fiberglass sheet? The only ones I recall offhand are the corrugated jobbies. You could get a gallon of polyester resin and some 6-9oz. fiberglass cloth and cover the masonite but it would be a lot of work and wouldn't be cheap. Plus, you'd have to know how to do it.

Go buy a new door. You can get a steel entry door for about $125.

Reply to
dadiOH

exterior steel insulated door with top window as low as a 100 bucks on sale, but generally about a 150 bucks. think stanley a big box.

foor those prices why screw around with the old door, new door seals great.... saves energy

Reply to
hallerb