How to Bind Broken Eyeglass Metal Frames?

The nose bridge in my frames broke. I tried silver solder to reconnect the broken ends, but the solder would not stick to the metal; it would just roll off. Any suggestions? (yah, I suppose I could tape them and look like a typical nerd : )

Thanks,

Reply to
Rocinante

Try your local jeweler. Some of them have been known to actually repair metal frame glasses better than new. Mine does.

Reply to
Grandpa

Rocinante wrote in news:1i5lmjqsmrk5z$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

it's pot metal,zinc-based. there are solders made for pot metal.

Nerds today use epoxy. ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I did a successful silver solder of my metal spec frame years ago using an air-acetylene torch, borax flux and silver solder. The parts to be joined have to be glowing red hot for the solder and flux to flow. The enamel coating on the frame had to be scraped off first. The adjoining enamel remaining on the frame was burned off by the torch anyway but I think its still a good idea to remove the enamel from the join surfaces anyway.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

A quick google search yielded this:

Don't know how well it works, never tried it. I always wound up buying new ones.

Reply to
trader4

Depends on what they are made of. My frames are titanium, and repairing them outside of the production line where they were made would be cost prohibitive.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

You're assuming his glasses are pot metal. Glass frames are made of lots of metals, mine are Ti ear stems with steel frames. My other pair were Ti pure, the ones before that were steel.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:nKOdnRHJhtrpBV_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

do you think most glass frames are Ti? I don't. Unless they were bought knowing they were Ti,they probably are not. I suspect Ti frames carry a premium price,and one is well aware that they are paying for Ti.They might even be imprinted with that info. (mine don't;just make,model and color)

At least steel can be determined with a magnet.

since he *already tried silver solder*,he might as well try solders made for zinc alloys,can't do any more harm,as it's too late to have a pro try to repair them even if they are Ti.I doubt any pro would want to make repairs on a workpiece already screwed up by the owner's repair attempt.

Reply to
Jim Yanik