Electrical Connection Technique (A Woodworking Tool Is Involved)

It is.

Reply to
krw

A continental is a TANK, not a compact or mid-size - and your supra (talking second or third gen) outweighed the Volvo significantly and most likely also had limited slip. What tires did yhou have on the Volvo? and what model Volvo?.. If you drove a motorcycle when you couldn't move with a Volvo you've got ROCKS in your head - and below your belt.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Except that it wasn't a Continental.

Care to show me the weight figures, oh mighty Toyota and Volvo expert?

The ones that came on it. Just like the Corvette and the Supra and the Lincoln all had the tires that came on them.

You should have asked that before spouting off schmott guy. But I'll give you a hint--bother were heavier than the Supra and weighed about the same as the Corvette.

As for limited slip, Volvos are supposed to be good in snow, if they need limited slip why don't they have it? And the Lincoln did not have it.

Yep, it took big ones. But once it was out of the parking lot and onto the plowed and salted road it was fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 11:12:14 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote :

ote:

s how to replace

"ring connector"

es, if there

that in ages,

ire. This is

nd the screw

wire does not

e while being

n the plastic

rtain manner

fety knowledge just so

This suggestion wasn't specifically a safety issue, but I got paid on it through the corporate Suggestion System that paid for suggestions that resu lted in a money saving process change.

My company was already in trouble for possible ground contamination in the surrounding neighborhood - including the ground under the grade school that was named for the company. One morning I was walking from the parking to the security gate, a walk that took me down a public street along the plant's fence. As I looked through the fence and down a road between 2 buildings, I saw foam bubbling up out of a sewer, breaking up into pieces

2-3 feet across and blowing down the road. Some of the bubble masses were settling right up against the fence. Definitely not a good look for a compa ny already in trouble with the EPA.

I had a friend who was in management for that part of the plant so I called him and asked him how I should report it. He told me that he would contact the proper department. He then called me a few days later and told me to put in a suggestion saying that the ABC department should be using anti-foa ming agent in the XYZ discharge system. He told me to route the suggestion throu gh his department. When I wrote up the suggestion, I added a few words about t he "bad look, especially at this time". About a month later I got a check for $3K. That would be about $6.5K in today's dollars.

Apparently that "bad look" was worth preventing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So you got paid for being part of the cover up. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

OK - so ANY Lincoln was a tank.

Well , a 164 outweighed a Supra G2 (about 3000) by about 300 lbs. A 142 was about 300 lbs lighter than the G2 Supra. The G3 Supras were pigs, outweighing the 164 by a good 300 at about

3800 The G4 was about 300 less than the G3

If the Townn Car wasn't a Conti, it had to be newer than 1981. !981-89 weighed about 4000-4200 lbs. (About 400 lbs heavier than the heaviest Supra, and 1400 lbs heavier than the 1st gen Supra at 2800) The 1998 Corvette was only about 100 lbs LIGHTER than a G3 Supra at about 3250 -roughly half a ton lighter than the Towne Car The G4 was about 300 less than the G3

When you get up into the 2000s, and the Volvo S60 etc you are into FWD and AWD - a totally different story - and they are fatter at about 3500 - 3900 lbs - still lighter than a Lincoln Town Car and about on par with the Supra G3

Go back to a PV544 and they barely tipped the scales at a ton. The 122 Amazon was about 200 lbs heavier at 2200. The P1800 wagon was about 300 pounds heavier than the Amazon at about

2500.

Tp put it in perspective, 2 122 Amazons weighed marginally more than a later model TowneCar.

Still haven't said what kind of Volvo. My brother's Volvo outweighed a lincoln too - but it had a 984 cubic inch D16 under the hood that weighed a ton and a half without transmission or fluids and put 600 HP to the twin screw rear end..

ANd without a load it was USELESS in snow too - - -

NO car is good in snow without snows - and a second gen or newer Supra in particular. Don't try BSing me. I was Toyota Service Manager - and the low profile tires they came with were less than useless in snow (Dunlop performance radials) They were like 4 flying saucers strapped to the corners of the car. With narrow snow tires they handled and went pretty good. The lincoln had enough weight on the rear wheels to make any tire grip at least a LITTLE bit - - - WHen I was rallying the Volvo 242 was right up there with the 2002 Bimmers and the 510 Datsuns for 2wd (even winter) rallying. (I successfully campaigned a Renault R12 Fwd - the lowest powered car on the circuit at the time) A good set of Haks or Metzlers made them into pretty darn good "rubber on ice" ice racers too - - -

Corvettes are also extremely poor in snow with the stock "steam rollers" on them. (and up here they virtually ALL get taken off the road around Thanksgiving. ANyone with the bucks to drive a vette has the money, if not the brains, to also have a "winter beater" - often an Audi Quatro or aAWD BMW (if not a 4WD Sierra or an old H3)

My bikes were always put away sometime about Thanksgiving and they stayed away 'till at least Easter.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

And I'm not going to since you're making an ass of yourself.

Which tells you how bad the damned Volvo was.

And I'm sure if I just jacked the Volvo up and put a Jeep underneath it it would have been just fine. I'm not talking about a damned race-prepped special, I'm talking about showroom stock.

Which again tells you how bad the damned Volvo was.

Pahh-puck puck puck

Reply to
J. Clarke

WHo's making an ass of themselves by not giving details and making somewhat rediculous claims????

Put up or shut up.

What Volvo? and further to that, what tires? FWD or RWD or AWD? All Season or Performance Touring tires???

The ice racers are "showrioom stock" and the rallye cars were "unprepared" - meaning NO MODIFICATIONS beyond changing shocks and sway bars. Mine was BONE STOCK. All you could change beyond that was your rubber - and it had to fit the factory sheet metal.

Still no indication what kind of Volvo - or even what Supra (there were at least 4 VERY DIFFERENT supras) or what 'Vett either for that matter - C1 to C7 there have been a LOT of changes -- - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Same deal for "improvement" suggestions. Engineers needed not apply, so I just gave the ideas to my technician(s). I wasn't going to get paid for them so why not reward the guys doing my work for me. ;-)

Ouch! That's a real bad look, even if it was Lucy's washing machine. We had loads of groundwater pollution (no matter what people thought, electronics is a very dirty business), cost millions, but I never got involved in that stuff.

Very cool! I'd think so! I remember one suggestion (*not* mine) that was turned down at least three times before paying out almost $100K (in the '70s). Turns out the person who reviewed suggestions was the person who was responsible for that particular area. He didn't want to admit that he'd missed that sort of savings. These programs are good ideas but it has to be run right or they turn into jokes.

Reply to
krw

ote:

s us how to replace

a "ring connector"

d does in the

wires, if there

en that in ages,

d wire. This is

, and the screw

he wire does not

wire while being

s in the plastic

handle, but

anger". I don't

certain manner

on a job site

safety knowledge just so

The worst one I got hit with was a suggestion that was probably worth a $50 K award (mid-80's) To keep it simple, let's call it a software modification.

It would have saved an awful lot of money over time but the department said that they couldn't afford the cost of the upgrade. (short term thinking, wh ich is what eventually put the company essentially out of business. Hint: Perha ps you remember a time before we all took pictures with cell phones?) Anyway, they thanked me for the suggestion but said they were not going to implemen t it.

3 years later that same department did a major upgrade and when it was done it looked exactly like what I had suggested. I contacted the suggestion department and they said that they would re-open the suggestion and send it back to the department to see if it warranted payment. The answer was "Yes, we did basically implement what he suggested, but it wasn't done because of his suggestion. An engineer within the department came up with the idea on his own, as part of job his responsibilities.

So, I, an IT hardware technician who didn't even work for the department (t hey were one of my "internal customers") made a suggestion 3 years before one o f their internal engineers (supposedly) came up with the same idea. At that t ime they had the money, so they implemented his *free* suggestion, not mine.

I was not a happy camper for quite a while.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep, like many such programs, if they're not going to be faithful to the intent of the program the incentive is often the opposite of what is desired. That's why I don't bother with any of the morale enhancement programs, wherever I've worked. They always end up doing the opposite, eventually.

The HR department where I work now manages to do it right (wrong) out of the chute. They have a "high-five" award, where you can give a co-worker an award for helping you, or whatever. Build points and exchange them for trinkets. I looked - nothing I want for anything like what could be reasonably put together in a few years.

Then they screwed the pooch further by making it mandatory or *you* get dinged on your performance. They're also trying to motivate us to exercise, so give above points for exercise, except that you have to link your smart watch (or whatever) to their site. No thanks. They want groups to get together to do a million steps. Hell, I do a million a month, myself, but I'm not about to give them access to that information. I have had a bunch of people ask me to join their groups, though. ;-)

Then there is the "How are we feeling today ?", weekly morale survey.

"Come on, people, this is a job and we get paid well to do what we do and get treated pretty well in the mean time. Isn't that enough?" Yeah, such BS really turns me off.

Reply to
krw

Another pissing contest.

Reply to
Leon

What turns me off is people too freakin' lazy (or dumb, or ignorant) to trim 6 pages of non-relevant crap to get to their point.

Reply to
Jack

Took me 7 pages to get to your comment. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

What pisses me off a whiney asshole Usenet trolls.

Reply to
krw

FWIW, the place I work pays cash money for achieving fitness goals.

5000 steps a day, certified by a fitness tracker, for x number of weeks (I forget how many) and they pay you 100 bucks. Get a physical exam they pay the full price, no deductible, and give you a hundred bucks. There are other incentives up to a total of 500 bucks a year.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Markem

I'm happy that you agree.

Reply to
krw

Those are somewhat reasonable bribes but I doubt I'd agree to it. Maybe I'd carry two trackers. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Duh! Fight fire with fire!

I was tempted to simply quote 7 pages and simply add a ++1 or --1 which I've seen done numerous times by lazy, inconsiderate morons.

Reply to
Jack