Miniature Christmas Gift - Let's Call It A Prototype

I'm supposed to build a bench for my daughter's dining room. I had planned to get it done before Christmas, but life got in the way. I've been trying to figure out what to give her as sort of a gag gift that would let her know that the bench was eventually coming.
Last night I thought of this. Some scrap wood and a couple of hours of shop time was all it took. I included a note saying that she can use it for small dinner parties. ;-)
https://i.imgur.com/vKKBCZL.jpg
Part way through I realized that I would have to figure out how to wrap it. The dimensions ended up being based on an box that I had recently gotten in the mail. It was a perfect fit, of course. ;-)
On 12/22/18 2:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm sure she will love it. Question: I see a crosshatch pattern on the front edge of the seat that I actually like. Is it on purpose or an accident? Like, are they just saw tooth marks that you'll plane or sand out? I would actually like to figure out how to do that on purpose.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/22/2018 2:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

That's what it is; the sawblade isn't perfectly aligned to the table or it has a wobble or the piece had some bow so it didn't run in a straight line past the blade.
To make such a pattern, that's what you do; but just a tiny touch of offset to the fence so rear teeth drag a little.

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 4:06:35 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

rks

t how

I'm going to guess "bow" (or pre-existing) because I've ripped a lot of woo d with that blade and never got that pattern before. Not even on the strips I ripped last night for the base. Like I said in my response to Mike, I'll ha ve to some testing when I get home (after Christmas)
I'll let you know what I find out.

I may just test that too. Sounds like fun.
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 3:59:33 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm sure she will laugh...and get the joke.

It certainly wasn't on purpose and has been sanded out. Everything else I ripped came out fine. I didn't even notice it until I had already attached the seat to the base. (I was sort of flying through this last minute project) I must have had that edge facing away from me when I attached the base.
The opposing edge was fine so I don't know if those blade marks happened on last night's rip or if they were there previously. I'll have to do some test cuts when I get home.
On 12/22/18 8:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm sure she'll love it!
As much time as we spend tuning up and truing our tools, there's now a huge market for "distressed" and "re-purposed" woodworking that is all marked up with scuffs, scratches, and saw-marks. So I'm always looking for efficient ways to do do those things.
--

-MIKE-

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 11:19:56 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I've seen this used:
https://www.e-rigging.com/assets/images/p/75/Stainless-Steel-Chain.jpg
Done correctly, you get nice soft dents, like divots that have been worn smooth over time.
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 12:09:21 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Very nice!

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 3:09:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have been informed that the mini-bench will be used as a plant stand - in the dining room - while it waits for its big brother to arrive. ;-)
It will probably end up out on the porch or deck come spring, again, as a plant stand, unless she forgets that it's not meant to be sat on. (Ouch!)