Glueing frozen boards question

I have a couple of nice rough hard maple boards to plane and shape for a la p desk. But these boards have been in the freezing cold for a couple of day s. Will this affect the glue bond since they have 8 percent moisture conten t? Should I warm them up first just to be sure? I'm using Titebond III.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

When I bring in frozen and weather exposed boards (I know yours probably aren't) they're usually quite wet. This is often surface moisture, but can penetrate 1/4" or more. I'm not sure I'd trust a glue joint in that kind of situation.

They usually warm up quite quickly, though. An hour or two seems to be good, so why risk it?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

lap desk. But these boards have been in the freezing cold for a couple of d ays. Will this affect the glue bond since they have 8 percent moisture cont ent? Should I warm them up first just to be sure? I'm using Titebond III.

Chalk temp of TB III is 47°. It's best to warm the boards, significan tly. I always try to glue and finish with temps above 65°, or at lea st above 60°, no matter what glue or finish I am using. Rarely do I do any glue or finish work with temps below 70°..... indoors or outdoo rs.

*Saw this printed on a T-shirt, long ago ('60s-'70s festival): "Outdoors is IN, Indoors is OUT"

Additionally, and I don't know for sure, but I work with the rationale that lower temps require longer clamp times, before releasing the clamps.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny