Yet another electrical question on a WW tool

In my shop I have two general purpose electrical circuits that I connect ev erything to except the big machines. They are 20 amp (120VAC)circuits with 12 gauge wire. Each circuit starts with a GFCI outlet and then a chain of normal outlets. All outlets are 20 amp.

On one circuit I have my Yorkcraft 6" jointer plugged in. I've had this a few years. It's been lightly used with no prior problems.

This evening I was jointing a piece of 1 x 6 maple set to take off less tha t 1/64 per pass. After a bit, the GFI would pop. Thinking this might be t he GFCI outlet, I connected the jointer to the second circuit. Same proble m. The only other piece of equipment running was the DC which is on a sepa rate 240VAC circuit.

The circuit breaker (20 amp)never pops. The GFCI outlet is maybe 6' from th e panel and the second outlet (jointer) is about 8-10' from that.

The jointer has a 1 hp motor (running at 120VAC)and, when I pulled the cove r off, the motor was barely warm. No dust buildup either since I have this connected to my DC.

I have done a baby crib's worth of (soft)maple and 2 large bookcase's worth of cherry without incident. The piece I was working on was a piece of the leftover maple.

Any thought why this would cause the GFCI to pop and not the circuit breake r? Also, what would I look for with respect to the cause. I bought the jo inter new 8 or 9 years ago and it has been lightly used.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Have you tried plugging another relatively heavy draw tool into the circuit to rule out your jointer?

Reply to
Leon

breaker? Also, what would I look for with respect to the cause. I bought the jointer new 8 or 9 years ago and it has been lightly used. ...

GFCIs work on the current imbalance between the two legs and trip as low as 5-6 mA. What this indicates is that the motor now has a leakage path that ends up being above the GFCI threshold--it probably started off at just barely under and know with some age there's some insulation degradation that has let it now be just over instead of just under.

Your choices as I see it are--

a) replace the GFCI w/ a different/newer one and see if goes away for at least a while,

b) replace the motor w/ one that doesn't have the leakage current. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to change its characteristics any although despite no heavy dust buildup you might try blowing it out thoroughly w/ compressed air to see if internal dust could be contributing to the problem, or

c) do away w/ the GFCIs

Oh, there's no fluorescent lighting on the circuit is there?

Reply to
dpb

On 10/14/2013 7:13 PM, dpb wrote: ...

And, while it's less likely given the two circuits both behave the same now, look for and check all circuit connections to eliminate any high impedance ones (relatively) that could contribute to the small imbalance.

Reply to
dpb

That would be my first choice.

...and that if a) didn't work.

Reply to
krw

------------------------------------------------------------------ "dpb" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- I vote for "C" above.

The GFCI is a bit much in this application, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That might not be possible. I have a basement shop, and I am required by code to have 12g wiring and gfci on each ckt.

I would try a new gfci, it's cheap enough to give it a try.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'd find that more convincing if it weren't both failing at the same exact time...that's just _too_ coincidental...

It's certainly the simplest...

Well, in the days of GFCIs originally motors were notoriously high-enough leakage to cause them to trip. That a presumably Chinese-motor on an import tool has enough after a few years to now cause a trip (on two separate ones, no less) is less remarkable occurrence to me than the two GFCIs failing identically.

Reply to
dpb

On 10/14/2013 7:53 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

That's certainly what I'd do, too, but figured I'd be conservative... :)

I don't have any on the place, anywhere, and have survived so far. I have considered putting one on the heater circuits for the stock waterers as the one place could see it being a benefit but they've been there for 60-year or so and haven't ever been a problem so it seems like a solution looking for a problem more than a cure...so haven't ever gotten one of them round tuits.

Reply to
dpb

GFI is getting wore out? Problem with the windings and or arcing in switch/motor? The GFI is getting input either from the machine or the GF! i s wore out? Are the plugs and receptacles in good condition? john

[...]

jloomis

As someone who has been considering installing a ceiling dust collector (or something else) on the same circuit as fluorescent lighting, is there an issue here I should know about? Why did you raise the concern?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

RFI from the fluorescent is sometimes factor in false GFCI trips...there shouldn't be any need for GFCI on such a circuit.

Reply to
dpb