Yet another electrical question on a WW tool

Regardless, Doug is arguably one of the most informed posters here today with regard to electrical code issues, and a good deal of troubleshooting to boot.

Pay attention ... sometimes it is best to let the kibitzing dust settle first. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

The neighbors didn't like it much either. ;-)

OK, I'll help you get your mind off that image:

It's a small world after all It's a small world after all It's a small world after all It's a small, small world

Reply to
krw

Thanks, but I prefer "Tiptoe, through the tulips".

Much more power, in one line.

Reply to
Swingman

Who let the dogs out? Wolf, Wolf Wolf

Reply to
Leon

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

I know -- I thought I'd better chime in, when I saw the OP about to decide to "solve" a problem that sure looks to me like a jointer with a ground fault by taking away the ground-fault protection.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hello All,

I am the OP (if that means original poster). I very much appreciate all the follow-up. I too am concerned as to why this happens.

I need the weekend to pull the motor and have a look. Some additional info on my set-up:

  1. The jointer is plugged into a string of outlets I have mounted on the first floor joists. I am in the basement so the outlets are overhead.

  1. The power cord has a molded in plug.

  2. The power cord runs straight up from the jointer to the outlet and is protected from abuse. It is mounted next to and in the shadow of the DC ducting.

In conversations I have had, some folks have suggested that motors and GFCI outlets don't play together nice which is why you are warned to not plug your freezer into a GFCI outlet. OK, I accept that but I had several years without an issue.

I sure hope that after I pull the motor and open all the covers, I something loose, or chaffed or covered with a lot of dust. That I could fix. If I find nothing, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Bill L.

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Wheel in the sky keeps on turning; Don't know where I'll be to-morrrr--arrr--oow; Duh-da-dut-durrr..

Reply to
Bill

Yessir.

Reply to
Bill

Bill Leonhardt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It does.

As you should be. Motors that have absolutely nothing wrong with them can cause nuisance trips on GFCIs due to voltage and current being out-of-phase in an inductive load -- and trips can also be caused by current leakage. As I noted in another post, it doesn't take very much current to interrupt your heart, and so this needs to be taken seriously.

This is true.

And this is why I think you are right to be concerned.

I think my next step, on finding nothing, would be to remove the motor from the jointer and see if it still trips the GFCI -- if so, I'd take it to a motor repair shop and ask them what they make of it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

After all the back and forth, I forgot whether you changed the GFCI. If not, that's your next step (should have been the first).

Things fail. This wouldn't be the first time this happened.

I'd sure change the GFCI before going to that hassle. An ohmmeter might help finding the culprit.

Reply to
krw

If the dang thing is grounded, the way it SHOULD be he'll never get a shock off of it. The frame will always be at fround potential, If the leakage gets bad enough it will kick a regular breaker.

GFCI protection is BASICALLY for un-grounded equipment.

Reply to
clare

Does it trip under load as well? If not it could be a power factor issue (current out of phase with voltage) - which is always better under load.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nonsense. If he makes a second, parallel path to ground through his body, and the case is energized, some of that current *will* flow through his body. Hopefully, it won't be enough to do him any damage.

Think that through just a bit farther, will you?

The current required to trip a breaker is THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater than the current required to stop a human heart from beating. It doesn't take nearly as much leakage current to pose a risk to human life as it takes to trip a breaker.

Wrong. GFCI protection is BASICALLY for the protection of human life, REGARDLESS of what type of electrical equipment said human is using.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

nuisance

very

I believe I just said that...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh, this is number one and the fun has just begun ...

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Is the jointer outlet the first in the string? If not, have you tried it on others in the string? It could be a faulty outlet.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

------------------------------------------ Roll me over, lay me down and do it again.....

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

GFCIs have a lifespan. I had to replace one in a bathroom recently for that reason.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

So for what it's worth all my tools are on gfci's. Compressor, tablesaw, drill press, bandsaw, jointer, 2 stationary sanders, planer, router table, shop vacs.

Nothing pops the gfci. Occasionaly I pop a ckt breaker when starting the ts..

I think the refrig is to prevent lost food, and spoiling. But our hardware should be sound... and it is better to have it, than not. Long ago they didn't have them... I'm sure there were occaisonal electrocutions. I have been to many garage sales, I can't believe how some guys keep their equip or work with frayed wires or just not well maintained cords/boxes,switches. A gfci is cheap insurance.

Reply to
woodchucker

Right, but that's because the inductive Power Factor causes the GFCI to falsely detect a ground fault. The same happens with a large motor.

I doubt there were many such electrocutions (dry basement) but it's not a big issue.

Reply to
krw