Dust collector, noisy and no lubrication?

I recently bought an el-cheapo 1hp dust collector ($160CDN new!) The thing works great, and the overall finish was pretty good for such a cheap unit.

However, when I shut the motor/impeller off, it spins for a second, then I hear what sounds like a centifugal clutch dropping out. Then, something inside spins down but there is NO lubrication and it screetches like a banshee. Direct metal on metal.

I don't mind taking it apart to fix it. Can anyone point me in the correct place to start looking just based on my description? (I should post an mp3!)

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

I am guessing bushings instead of bearings in the motor and they have pooped out already.

Reply to
Leon

I'd be looking for a fan blade rubbing the shroud.

Reply to
bridger

I too would suggest that the fan is loose on the shaft.

Reply to
bakerhardwoods

I would be looking for the banshee. That seems like it would be a problem.

~Josh.

"The one who dies with the most tools wins."

Reply to
Josh