AP400 Dust Collector

I'm considering buying the Delta AP400 Dust Collector. Does anyone have any experience with this model (both good and bad). I do woodworking in my spare time in my garage. I would like to add a second stage (the plastic cover that goes on a metal trashcan) if I buy it. Does it have enough power to do that and still provide adequate dust collection from a table saw? Thanks in advance. Tony

Reply to
tony weikert

Can't speak for the Delta but I recently read a post by someone who added one to their shop-vac with good results. So, given the comparison of the two units I'd say that you shouldn't have any trouble. I added one ot my HF unit and hardly anything gets to the lowr bag except fine particulates.

Reply to
C & E

There would be more, but all the fine stuff blows right through the bag...

Reply to
Toller

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - In the DC world with DCs of this basic design you have a blower/motor and a filter bag. Is there really a difference between one companies DC and another when the bag micron rating and the CFM are the same? OK - Motor quality could be a factor, fit and finish and paint color as well. Size of bags maybe. 110 vs 220 can be a deciding factor for some as well. Noise - do manufacturers give dB ratings?

Anyway - to the original poster - I do not have the AP400. I looked at it and compared it against

three are all about the same price. The Harbor Freight beats the three in the specs for the price.

I then decided I wanted a bit more on the CFM side and a finer particle size. This is when I settled on

the time they were offering a complementary pre-separator. I have not hooked it up yet. Without the separator the DC works great. The longest run I have is to my planer. (up 12', across ceiling 6', down 12', horizontal for

10', switch to flex and run another 15') Given this long run, and the up and down, I have no problem keeping the chips and dust clear.

BTW - I am a hobbyist and weekend sawdust maker too.

Reply to
No

"tony weikert" wrote in news:4mZrf.697$M% snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Tony, I own the AP400 and have had very good luck with it. I hook it up to my 15" thickness planer and it takes all the chips that I can give it. I will be switching to a 1 micron bag soon, so I don't know how that will effect the performance if any. I have not tried it with the separator yet, but I will be adding one of those soon also. I hope this helps. BTW, I got mine at Lowes with a $25.00 rebate for around a net cost of $125.00 or so. Good Luck!

Steve

Reply to
hammerhands

Sure there is. CFM means nothing without the SP it was measured at and not all manufacturers measure it at the same level, much like the HP measurement of motors from different companies. Then there is the quality of the materials, especially the impeller and blower housing (which also have a significant impact on the noise level of the unit).

This is a perfect example. While the HF unit seems to have a CFM 3 times that of the Grizzly for the price, they didn't bother to show what SP this measurement was taken at and I would bet that it was at near zero and probably without the bags installed either. Pretty much like the cheepo motor manufacturers listing the HP of their motors at full stall, LOL. The Grizzly OTOH, was measured at a specific SP and at it's max rating which indicates a worse case scenario CFM for the Grizzly compared to the absolute best possible and completely unrealistic rating of the HF unit.

With a SP that high, I doubt that you will have any problems with the seperator. Just make sure you use a high quality heavy guage can for it or it may implode on you :-)

Me too. I just ordered my Grizzly G1023SL table saw yesterday. I am looking forward to it's arrival. Now I have to move my ass and get the raised floor in before it shows up.

Reply to
TBone

impressive for the price.

Question about these collectors, are they messy to clean out?

Reply to
Mark Brubaker

My only experience is with this particular one. I cant imagine its that different from any others of similar design. You remove a large band clamp from the lower bag, drag it off and dump it into the trash. If you wait until its completely full then it will be harder to handle (weight and possible overflow). Some can be equipped with a plastic, disposable liner. I suppose I could do the same with the griz although I have never tried. The pre-separator is supposed to remove the largest, bulky stuff first. As I said in an earlier post I do not have one hooked up yet but may do so in the future.

Reply to
No