dust collector help??

So yet another birthday is around the corner and the wife is tired of dust in my shop (and the house). Therefore, she wants me to get a dust collector. My WW habits are minimal and I don't need an industrial system. My wife's first instinct is to go to sears. Having read less then stallar reviews about them, at least their power tools, I am not so sure this may be a good idea.

She has looked at two systems; a sears (#21336)and delta (#ap400). Both systems appear to be very similar in that they are 1hp, 650cfm, 2 20 micron bags, etc. The prices are also in a good ballpark. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, etc. regarding either of these units? Thanks in advance for the info.

Reply to
Geo

The dust that gets through 20 micron bags is unhealthy for you.

I suggest you search groups.google.com to get some background information on this. There are aftermarket bags that filter much better and yet give better airflow, which means your dust collector will perform better.

Regarding the 1 hp rated collectors, I think these are intended to connect to a single device at a time with a short hose. So plan to spend time moving it around the disconnecting and reconnecting.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I have the Delta unit and have been using it for a couple of years now. I'm very pleased with the performance. Since you said you're WW habits are minimal, this would be ideal. It's perfect for collecting dust from any single machine. As for having to run it from a short hose, I have used up to 40' of 4' flexible DC hose on my tablesaw. Had no problem keeping up.

When I operate my 12" planer and 6" jointer, I'm operating off a 20' section of hose. My planer and jointer are my two most prolific dust producers. This DC easily keeps things under control.

This DC has wheels and it is easily moved around the shop. I had considered putting in plumbing and blast gates, but this is so easy to move and connect, that I gave up on that idea. I bought a quick connect fitting from Woodcraft. It threads into the end of the 4" hose and is tapered. It slips over the dust ports and holds tightly with a 1/4 turn and removes as easily.

Picture of mine:

's now available at Lowes for under $200.00. Very easy to get parts for Delta, including upgraded bags. I've not noticed a bunch of fine dust when operating the DC, so I'm sticking with the stock bags for now. There are some monster DCs on the market, but if you are only running 1 machine at a time, they tend to be overkill IMHO. FWIW, I have to roll my power tools in my small shop anyway before using them, so having to roll the DC over to it before using it is not really anything new.

Reply to
Robert

............. That is considerably better then my 2 HP Grizzley would do... 40 foot of "hose" .. even 40 foot of smooth walled pipe would be way too much from my experience... I also use a 1 HP Penn State unit and with a 5 ft flex hose it does keep up with the "chips" from the planner.

Neither of these machines produce much dust....chips yes...dust no...

You are right...the smaller units do allow you to drag them around the shop pretty easily... dragging 40 foot of hose however seems to me a bit much... Maybe that is where I am confused...if you can move the DC why do you need 40 foot of hose?

Well you do sound like me... Like I said I have two dust collectors and the little 1 hp was purchased at a garage sale for "peanuts" so I could not pass it by...BUT I do not use them to protect my own health...I use them only to reduse the "mess" in my shop...when I open the door every morning I now enter a shop that is much cleaner...not nearly as much fine dust has settled tools etc... I still am using the "stock" bags after over 10 years with the Griz and the Penn State unit I have been using for only 3-4 years..also stock bags...

Just my opinions.. \

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G