FOLDING BENCH

But, I can't help but think, "Why?". If I were to build a bench, I would mean for it to stay in place. If I wanted somethimg movable, I would use a chair. If it needed to fold - again - a chair, or multiple chairs. I just can't see any reasonable use for a folding bench - a bench is not meant for temporary seating, it's meant to stay in place. Folding tables, folding chairs, these I can see; folding benches, I can't see. In fact, this is the first time I even recall hearing of a folding bench.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Maybe to put it away for the winter?

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Mon, Dec 26, 2005, 7:23pm snipped-for-privacy@iosphere.net (Owen=A0Lawrence) doth sayeth: Maybe to put it away for the winter?

And then have to drag it out again when you want to sit? I don't think so.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

as a camper, we would try to fold anything...

Reply to
Jack

Actually, I can help you with that. I do medieval re-creation as my other hobby. Sometimes our encampments get quite elaborate, with truly giant tents that serve as classrooms and mead halls.

I could easily see one of our baronies deciding that they wanted benches for the great hall. Problem is, the great hall only exists for

10 days every summer. So we'd have to transport and store those benches for most of the year. Anything to save space.

So I could see a use for folding benches.

Bill

Reply to
bill.mcnutt

Tue, Dec 27, 2005, 4:32am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com (Jack) doth sayeth: as a camper, we would try to fold anything..

I'm glad I don't go cazmping with you.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Mon, Dec 26, 2005, 9:05pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com claimeth: mead halls. So I could see a use for folding benches.

I've gotten drunk at enough German beer, and wine, fests, to prefer getting drunk in a chair, rather than on a bench.

Knockdown or folding period chairs.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

sayeth:

Well, that's what I do. Why you'd want to sit in 3' of snow I'm not sure. For me, two draggings a year is tolerable.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Tue, Dec 27, 2005, 10:18am snipped-for-privacy@iosphere.net (Owen=A0Lawrence) doth sit on snowey benches: Well, that's what I do. Why you'd want to sit in 3' of snow I'm not sure. For me, two draggings a year is tolerable.

I haven't lived in the snow belt since I was 19, and went in the Army. But, you must have been raised different from me, because I knew enough to brush the snow off before I sat down. There were plenty of places with benches yearround. People sat on 'em to watch their kids skate, sled, etc.; kids sat on 'em to get therir skates on and off, to take a break, etc They all brushed any snow off before that sat down. Some took along a pad, made for just that purpose, to sit on.

So, you want to watch your kid skate, or whatever, and no bench. Whcih means you've got to lug something along to sit on. Then you've got to set your thermos on the ground. Might's well just leave the bench out all years, and save yourself a lot of hassle.