dust collector questions

Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can I do this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and cost less in the long run.

The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right at the moment.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton

The bags are heavy weight cloth. They don't wear out any faster than any other cloth. How often do your much lighter bed sheets wear out?

You could replace the bag with anything you can tightly fit to the chute.

Reply to
dadiOH

Ralph Compton wrote the following:

I don't have one, but might you be able to put a plastic trash bag into it, lining the cloth bag? That way, you won't have to dump the cloth bag into another container, raising dust or spillage. Just pull the plastic bag out, tie it, and toss it.

Reply to
willshak

I think I described this wrong. Some collectors have 2 bags, an upper cloth bag as a filter, which never wears out or comes off (or rarely), and a lower, pastic bag, into which the sawdust collects. Eventually this plastic bag fills up and is disposed of. I think.

Actually, the collector I'm thinking of, the DC1100VX-CK has a filter canister instead of the upper, cloth filter, bag but still has the lower, plastic, collector bag. I'm just wondering where to get these lower bags when they wear out and how much of a life span they actually have.

Some dust collectors have the upper cloth bag, or cannister filter, and then a lower collector barrel instead of a bag.

Reply to
Ralph Compton

I've had a DC1100 for about 5 years. I'm still using the plastic bag that came with it, but I bought some spares at Woodcraft. Sorry, I don't remember what they cost. The bag has been emptied a number of times and still seems as flexible as the spare bags.

As long as you could come up with as air tight seal on a trash can, I suppose you could use one.

Reply to
Mike

You can absolutely use the black 4 mil 45 gallon contractor trash bags sold at Home Depot and most hardware stores. You don't need a clear bag, just feel the side of the bag occasionally.

Keep us posted on your thoughts on the vortex arrangement should you buy one.

Let me throw in this observation. Replacing the bag is an acquired skill. It is a lot like walking and chewing gum at the same time. Easy for some more difficult for a few others. After 5 years I have finally mastered the art of changing the lower bag. ;~)

I remove the pleated top canister and do all of my uninstall and reinstall of the bottom bag through the center opening. Mine does not have the vortex arrangement but.......

The vortex object occupies this space and will necessitate the bag being changed from below the center section.

I would certainly have a sales guy give you a hands on demonstration of how to change the bottom bag out in less that 30 minutes.....

Just something that you should be aware of.

Reply to
Leon

I have a PennState DC, with the two bags, so it's a probably little different than the Jet (I don't see a Jet 1000). When I empty it (not very often) I just beat the top bag so whatever is lodged in it falls to the bottom and then pull off the bottom bag and dump it into a trash bag. I just put the open end of the DC bag into the bottom of the trash bag and pull it up. Since the DC bad is cloth there is no suction to stick them together.

Big suggestion: use a chip separator in front of the DC. This will reduce the dust going into the DC by 75% and make it even easier to clean.

Reply to
krw

Ideally, you would match the fabric area to the CFM output. If you just put a plastic bag on the bottom, it could decrease the total CFM and stress the motor. Time for research!

Cut out a rectangular hole in the outside of the bag hoop and add another welded-in hoop for the extra air output.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ralph, two things.

First, no you do not need to dispose of the collection bag, unless you just want to. Its totally your option. However, if you do, I would strongly advise you to put the plastic bag (Yes the large, and cheap, bags from HD or Wal-Mart work just fine) INSIDE whatever originally came with the DC.

Secondly, you really do not need to worry about filtration at all. In fact my DC has no filter bag, or collection bag. I had ther 1,200CFM (claimed) DC form HF and it worked "okay." I then put an additional filter bag on it to increase through put. That worked better.

Finally, I threw away the filter bag, the collector bag, took the motor and impeller and mounted them up overhead in my shop, put a cyclone just upstream (between it and the blastgates) and vented the discharge outside the shop into a little building (3x3x4.5) with a 32gal trash can in it to catch the dust, with a piece of course burlap over the can to keep the dust somewhat contained. It worked a lot better.

THEN, one day I noticed the piece of burlap that I had put over the can was all clogged with dust and pulled off, intending to clean it and put it back on - but got side tracked and just did not get around to it. A bit later, I had something to cut and fired up the DC and it was like a new setup. I had vaccum you would not believe. Needless to say, the burlap stayed off.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Seems to be a little corn-fusion on the two bags. The upper cloth bag is a filter, where the air generated exits the collector. The lower bag is where the sawdust collects, and that is the one that gets emptied when full. I have a Delta, and after 5 years, have never removed or "cleaned" the upper cloth bag. But the one thing I got was a plastic "cyclone" lid for a 30 gallon metal garbage can. It just lays on the top of the garbage can, and over 90% of the dust collected goes to the metal can. It's a lot easier to dump than unfastening the lower plastic bag on the collector itself. I only end up dumping the plastic bag about once a year, unless I forget to empty the garbage can!

Hope this helps.....

Reply to
rich

I would also add....... If you use a cyclone garbage can lid, resist the temptation to put a trash bag in the can to make emptying easier. Those bags make funny noises when you start the collector the first time; and they are hell to clean out of the impeller!

Not that I did it our anything. :o)

Reply to
RonB

I've had to empty my upper bag more than once. ;-(

Reply to
Nova

On Nov 20, 12:37=A0pm, Leon wrote: [snipped for brevity]

One thing I find handy, is using 4-5 penny-size rare earth magnets to hold the bag in place till the band gets put on. I used to use tape as my third hand, but that stuff doesn't stick to dust very well.

Magnets are your friends.

Robatoy

So you did that *twice*? ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max

Until they stick to each other ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

No - I did learn.

Reply to
RonB

I really like the magnets idea!!

Reply to
Ralph Compton

Call these folks and get a box full that will last "many" moons:

are VERY tough bags and I have a MUCH larger unit than the one you are planning on.

I would also take a look at some sort of 2 stage setup with a garbage can,etc,etc.

even cooler arrangement:

Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm

Reply to
Pat Barber

You may want to read the latest Fine Woodworking Tools & BShops issue, with the article dust collectors. Most of the cartridges, and I think the Jet is one, pass dust below 2 microns, which is the very fine carcinogenic dust, and essentially pump it all through your workshop.

I have a Grizzly dust collector which came with a 2.5 micron filter bag and a fabric collection bag below. The collection bag was essentially a 30 micron bag that allowed all kinds of visible and invisible dust to pass.

What I am thinking of doing is to replace the filter bag with a Wynn Environmental filter.

FYI, Wynn also carries clear 4mil collection bags.

Then I am thinking of make what's called a Thein separator that fits into my dust collector, similar to the Jet vortex. If it works as advertised, I should get good separation of fines from larger dust particles. If it works well enough, I may be able to avoid clogging the filter all the time. A downside is that the stuff still has to go through the impeller. I imagine the Jet vortex has the same problem.

After that I want to upgrade my plumbing to 6" per Bill Pentz' site.

Anyway, I won't have a cyclone, but I hope it will be a big improvement. If it doesn't work out, then I guess it is a cyclone for me.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I just got a metal trash can a few days ago, and want to set it up. Is there some trick to this? The holes on the one I have are bigger than 4" pvc drain pipe and there is no stub flange to clamp a couple hoses to. I haven't found an online manual for the thing. Seems to me this must be a pretty simple hookup, but I'm missing something.

Thanks for any clarification.

Roy

Reply to
Roy